• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002 Produces no output

SpareParts

I have acquired a MEP 002 which runs. Voltage dials up 220 VAC, 1800 rpm produces 60 HZ and the battery meter shows that it is charging.
I turned the main run switch to start and held it for 3 seconds to flash energize the field. Everything works and is warmed up so I throw the main breaker but get nothing. The four metal posts under the panel for wire attachments have 0 VAC, nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Guyfang

Staff member
If the hertz meter is reading 60 hertz, the main gen is producing power. If you are reading 220 volts, then you need to see what position S-6 and S-8 are in.
What makes you say it produces nothing? Have you tested the input side and the output side of the CB-1 AC circuit breaker? Have you tested the load terminals? If so, how? Keep in mind that when the S-8 is in the single phase position, you will not get voltage on every output load terminal. Give us a little more detail to work with.

SpareParts

Thanks for the reply Guyfang. I flashed several times. I finally got L1-L3 to read ~220 VAC, L1-L0 was ~110 VAC. Plugs are still dead.
Is the problem now the cheap pull breaker or the socket plug?

rustystud

Thanks for the reply Guyfang. I flashed several times. I finally got L1-L3 to read ~220 VAC, L1-L0 was ~110 VAC. Plugs are still dead.
Is the problem now the cheap pull breaker or the socket plug?
Like Isaac said, that is NOT a cheap switch ! It is a quality "made in America" switch that probably cost the military $200.00 .
You will find almost everything on these generators is top notch quality. The problems lie with their over-engineering. To much redundancy in everything, and overly complicated to boot ! But cheap ? No way !!!!

Guyfang

Staff member
Try measuring for voltage at the cheap push/pull circuit breaker, (CB3). They were not a real problem area, but have been known to go bad, but seldom. I haven't looked, but seem to remember them being 7.5 amp? If I remember right, and you need to check the schematic, the 110 outlet was driven by LO and L3. Do you have voltage there? If not, you will have no voltage at the 110 volt outlet. So check at the CB3 first.

cuad4u

Use a wire with an alligator clip on each end to jumper across CB3. If CB3 is "bad" you will get 120 VAC at the convenience outlet with the jumper wire installed.

Last edited:

SpareParts

Thanks you again everyone for your suggestions. The airpax is functional. I believe it is CB3. I will test the terminals with gator clips and a test meter.
Guyfang L0-L3 is producing 110 VAC. Any suggestions on where can I find a replacement if CB3 is bad?
This Gen is so much fun I think I might bid on a MEP 003 when I get a chance. Thanks again.

Guyfang

Staff member
Type in the NSN, (5925-01-214-5416) in your browser. There is any number of places claiming to sell. Also ask in SS if someone has one for sale, trade or birthday gift. You can also try using the two part numbers, (72-5196 or 320-0461) to locate it. There are surely civilian CB's that will fit and or have the right characteristics, but I would think you should be able to find an original part without a problem. Bound to be someone who is parting one out, or has parted one out. The CB is a sealed unit, so if its bad, there is no repair.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks