• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A/003A Frequency Transducer Replacement

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It appears there is another option for those of you who fight with this part. So while this part was not originally designed for this set, it does work on the machine to make your hertz meter work again! I have installed one on an 003A here today and it worked just fine. I was discussing doing this swap a few weeks ago with @jamawieb, and he actually confirmed it worked after our discussion. Was time for me to get around to doing it too. Next is an 002 here with the same issue.

The item in question can be found on the big auction site for a good price ($12.90) under the search phrase "New Technology Research Corp. TRC Frequency Transducer Control Converter 60 HZ " with free shipping.

Installed:
20200822_145504.jpg
20200822_145513.jpg

The holes don't line up exactly, so I opened each top mounting hole with a 1/4" drill bit, and was able to make them pull tight. It used only the top 2 mounts. You could drill 2 more, or leave as is. I am going to get small rubber plugs to fill the bottom (2) holes in the operator control cube..

Unit:
5be4bbb35b425017714e37f2b77ff9521a6e8968-1.jpg9fbda67df165f5d888c6db0c77f788d11c6e6f0b-1.jpg42dfdeb537fb1c88367fbf03c79946fb236d3e22-1.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
It never occurred to me, but in retrospect, why should it NOT work? It simply takes an AC signal, and converts it to a DC signal. The meter? Well, that should not be a big problem. In my experience, if it fits in the hole, should work.

jamawieb

It fits nice in the appropriate place, light in the dark lead me to the transducer and I tried it. It's been working perfectly for the last few weeks. When mounting, 2 of the original mounting bolts (holes) will work, you can use those 2 or you can drill 2 more additional holes so all 4 mounting locations will align.

Chainbreaker

I have one of my generators where the Hertz gauge was dropping out now & then, while Kill-A-Watt meter was holding steady. Suspect it's the transducer, so I put in a bid for 3 of these units. Total purchase came out to $30.

Knowing they do fail eventually it will leave me with a couple spares on the shelf after I replace the flakey one.

Thank you LITD for sharing your finding of this OEM Vendor's compatible component!

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

It never occurred to me, but in retrospect, why should it NOT work? It simply takes an AC signal, and converts it to a DC signal.
Someone ? a couple years ago on SS said, or I read somewhere, that "the gauge and transducer were matched units". That when one component was faulty both the gauge and transducer were replaced together.

Regardless, whether or not that is the case having a Kill-A-Watt meter to compare readings should validate whether its reading accurately enough.

Ray70

I just used the make offer and grabbed 2 to stick in the parts inventory.
As for "Matched sets" whenever I replace a transducer or gage I always wire up a cord and use Utility power to set the " system" to about 59.5 hz. ( around here the utility is just shy of 60hz.
This way I now have a newly "matched set" Transducer and gage that I know reads accurately.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Received the new replacement transducer.

Question about the wiring.
The +- wires are obviously easy to figure out.
IMG_0447.jpeg

What about the other two marked L?

IMG_0445.jpeg

Original one is marked 1 and 2

IMG_0443.jpg

Looks like it wouldn’t matter but I’m not sure.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks