• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-002a Ammeter-Voltmeter transfer Switch

Keith_J

That MEP 018a probably was dirty in the bottom coil, this reduced cooling and with the load off the convenience outlet also being that one, it overheated.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We used the "convenience" outlet for all 120VAC needs and it has a 15-amp fuse, which never blew The welder was a wire feed type, don't know the rating...the circular saw and the miter saw could be close to 15A, though.
For this use, there was nothing connected to the 240VAC output.
A single 15 amp load off of only one coil is pretty harsh especially if it's for any length of time. Even the wire feeder probably puts a good load on it too, and probably for more of a duration than the saw.

Keith_J

I hope you wore a good respirator when removing that CARC.
Cured CARC isn't an issue. About the worst is the chromium oxide (Cr2O3), that isn't the toxic hexavalent type (CrO3). This oxide of chromium is what gives 383 its green color.

Uncured CARC of the solvent borne type contains diisocyanates which can trigger asthma. The older types contained toluene diisocyanate (TDI) which evaporates rapidly, making it hazardous to use. This was later replaced with methylene diphenyl diisocyanate (MDI). All polyurethanes start with a diisocyanate reacting with a double/triple alcohol (polyols). Since water has a hydroxyl, it also can react with certain diisocyanates, releasing carbon dioxide (Gorilla Glue, for example).

kewx

Where is the 240 V AC output? Or is this a cable & receptacle wired to the output lugs?

I just picked up a MEP -002.... took me 30 minutes to get it running but have no actual information as to how to hook it up.

I printed most of the manual today.

I have heard that you must not idle these generators.......is this true? Can they be idled without load?

kewx

Mep 002 ??

We used the "convenience" outlet for all 120VAC needs and it has a 15-amp fuse, which never blew The welder was a wire feed type, don't know the rating...the circular saw and the miter saw could be close to 15A, though.
For this use, there was nothing connected to the 240VAC output.
//////////////////

HI... this is my second attempt at using this forum.

I picked up a MEP 002 generator yesterday. I did not have any information on it at all other than the plates on the machine which were worn or bleached significantly. The machine was rebuilt in 1992 at 22 hours. It has 135 hours now.

A reference is made here to the 240 VAC output in the quote above. .......... Is this a power cord wired to the lugs or is there an outlet for 240V located somewhere?

I believe I have heard that you cannot idle these machines.. is this true?
I did manage to print some of the tech manual today.

I was not able to understand the warning about a possible double fault in 2 wire mode (120V ph1). Can anyone explain this?
If I run in 2 wire mode, do I need to rewire something or has this already been done?

thanks for your help.

kw

Triple Jim

The main power connection is to the lugs. The 120V receptacle is just a convenience outlet. You can idle them, but shouldn't, because as I understand it, the AC regulator will try like crazy to keep the output voltage up, to the point of failure. Keep the throttle set so the engine immediately comes up to 1800 RPM (60 Hz on the meter).

I read about the double fault thing and ignored it because I use my 003A to power the house, and it's always in 240/120 mode, so sorry, I can't help you there.

kewx

The main power connection is to the lugs. The 120V receptacle is just a convenience outlet. You can idle them, but shouldn't, because as I understand it, the AC regulator will try like crazy to keep the output voltage up, to the point of failure. Keep the throttle set so the engine immediately comes up to 1800 RPM (60 Hz on the meter).

I read about the double fault thing and ignored it because I use my 003A to power the house, and it's always in 240/120 mode, so sorry, I can't help you there.
///////////

It says to connect L0 to wire #6 of section g. I cannot even find a section g much less wire #6.

Of xcourse, I do want to run it at 240 in order to run the well........

Here in Northern Illinois, temps can range -30F to 105F.......... is there any reason that a 5w30 multigrade oil couildn't be used in the MEP- 002?

I have a Tucker SnoCat with a Cummins V6 and it runs 10W30...

Just checking... thanks, kurt w

panic_button

///////////

Here in Northern Illinois, temps can range -30F to 105F.......... is there any reason that a 5w30 multigrade oil couildn't be used in the MEP- 002?

Just checking... thanks, kurt w
My dad has 2 MEP-002, one at the shop and one at his house just over the Wisc boarder. He runs Rotella Synthetic 5W-40, Summer and Winter with no issues. Last winter his house MEP ran for 15 hours straight in an outage and the oil is still was like new this spring, also didn't change the air filter to "Cold Weather".

kewx

My dad has 2 MEP-002, one at the shop and one at his house just over the Wisc boarder. He runs Rotella Synthetic 5W-40, Summer and Winter with no issues. Last winter his house MEP ran for 15 hours straight in an outage and the oil is still was like new this spring, also didn't change the air filter to "Cold Weather".
////////////

I went throuigh much of the manual yesterday. I ran the generator last nite. The machine appears to be quite formidable and forgiving when you don't know what you're doing. That said,.. I now know what I'm doing with it and understand it pretty well.

I tested the output at 240v and 120. In 240 ph1 mode, the convenience receptacle works. Howecer it is just 120 v at each outlet on the same leg as there is not 240 between them.

Unless I need to run the well, I would probably use this most in 2 wire mode which is why I want to get to the bottom of the 'potential' double fault issue (which I still do not understand).

Thanks for the help...

Ya know, I have 2 trailers 3/4 and 1 1/2 ton.... so I am not that new to this...

I noticed that someone here has a flex fuel truck..........I sort of wish I hadn't seen that.
kurt w

kewx

I just found this thread at smokstak: MEP-003A Generator - SmokStak It has a good photo of the jumper wire for 120V-only mode. It also mentions that you can't leave the jumper there and switch back to 240V single phase mode.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////
Great,... I think I understand now and think I get why the TM says can/may cause a double fault.

Decades ago when I worked construction, everything was 2 wire 120V. No outlets were 3 prong so, we always just cut off the ground prong as the neutral was pretty much a grouind anyway............. However,.. using a power saw in the morning with the grass wet from the dew would signal that you needed to grip tighter because you could feel the power going through your hand to the wet ground.... I think this is what the TM is getting at.... It may be a problem, maybe not..

kurt w

Triple Jim

If I wanted to run an 002A to get only 120, I'd still use it in 240 mode. That way I could run two 20A or 30A circuits directly, and the built-in breaker would protect both circuits without having to make a distribution panel with breakers.

kewx

If I wanted to run an 002A to get only 120, I'd still use it in 240 mode. That way I could run two 20A or 30A circuits directly, and the built-in breaker would protect both circuits without having to make a distribution panel with breakers.
/////////////////////

Well, I will likely connect up and back feed to the breaker panel through a breaker in the shop. My shop is fed by a 125 amp breaker from the house. . I don't have a transfer switch because the generator will be located in my shop which is 230 feet from the main service at the house.

However, if in 240, you will not likely get protection from the double pole single throw breaker on the generator because a short on one leg of the split phase may not be powerful enough to throw both sides of that breaker. If protecting both sides of a 240 whilst using 120v on each leg separately, you need 2 separate single pole breakers. But hey, I'm no expert. kurt w

kewx

It's my understanding that multi-pole breakers are designed to trip if any one pole is overloaded. Anything else would not be safe.
///////////

Like I said, I'm no expert. I think you are correct.
They are designed like that. The military generators are formidable. Consider a double pole breaker of 60 amps with a small short on one leg......would it trip the breaker?. I mean it should but who knows.?

My welding table gets it's power from an overhead circuit which was in 3/8 greenfield hanging down with an outlet at the end. Table plugs into the ouitlet. The table circuit had a 30 amp 120v. breaker in the panel with #10 wire to the outlet inside Greenfield to the outlet. Table is on wheels but plugs in overhead to ouitlet on greenfield. One nite, the insulation wore through inside the greenfield and as I watched Iin amazement) ...fire shot through the greenfield, copper welded to the corrugated steel greenfield and finally shut down after melting a huge section out of the greenfield...........It took lots of time and could cause a fire but for the fact it was in mid air with nothing to burn. a huge flame had erupted right through the Greenfield at least a foot as though it were a torch flame. . . Everything was grounded and still,.. a significant fire occured.
I changed the breaker to a 20 amp and replaced the circuit inside a larger diameter 'liquidproof' corrugated cable. . These are QO breakers too.
Fortunately,.. single phase usually won't kill you. So, I don't trust any of them. at 100%.

BTW- I have learned a lot about military generators just from reading posts on this forum since Tuesday...It's been a great help.
kurt w

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks