• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-002a broken glow plug

storeman

I have searched and can't come up with an answer.

I have had a 5 and a 10kw for about 6 months, both of which I had hoped to make operational but I decided to settle for 5kw of power rather than to strive for 10kw, so the bigger unit has become the donor and I would need a second 5kw. The mep-003a will be sold for parts at some point when I have confidence in the two smaller units.

I recently bought a second Mep-002a that on pre-inspection, looked like it just came out of rebuild. I now have this newest 5kw running well after a lot of work. Among several other things, I had found the 2 like new glow plugs in my latest acquisition were not working but when I swapped around among those donated by my 003a, I got the 5kw functioning and starting easily.

My second 002a has run for as much as 30 minutes at a time and generates electricity but won't yet carry a load but, now that it is cooling at night, it is impossible to start.

So............... today I checked the glow plugs on the hard starting mep-002, found them not working and tried to remove them. One snapped off with very little pressure, the other might or might not be removable using heat or break-free.

My worst fear is that this broken glow plug ruins the engine as I don't know how it could be removed.

Then I looked closely at the Mep-003 and asked myself if I could pull the head off one bank of the 10kw and move it to the 5 kw. They appear similar/same but I can't find a -24 for the Mep-003a , so can't confirm. Also, the injectors on the 10kw are different from the 5kws.

Anyone know for sure or have suggestions on how to save this unit? Are the heads the same so i could swap them out and have working glow plug receptacles again? If not, what are my options? Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Jerry

Last edited:

storeman

To provide more info, when the valve covers are removed, the part number cast into the 5kw head is "onan p2246", the 10kw heads sat "onan 170-2246". they are not identical but i don't know if that is a function of age of production or if they are materially different.
Jerry:(

Keith_J

If not swappable, a good machine shop can easily take care of the broken glow plug. Probably under $50.

Parts aren't cheap, repair of what we have is a must.

storeman

What do I need to look out for in changing heads?

BTW: the "good" mep-002a will still not heat the glow plugs unless I jump the main terninals on R2. It clicks with the switch but does not heat. What does that tell anyone?

I'd like to change the title but can't figure out how to.
Jerry:-?

Keith_J

What do I need to look out for in changing heads?

BTW: the "good" mep-002a will still not heat the glow plugs unless I jump the main terninals on R2. It clicks with the switch but does not heat. What does that tell anyone?

I'd like to change the title but can't figure out how to.
Jerry:-?
You have me corn fused. R2 is the alternator ballast resistor. Now if that is K2 relay, terminals A1 and A2 probably have a contact point fried.

storeman

sorry. probably k2. unit is not handy to look at, but i do know the lower one r/k3 if jumped, runs the starter, the upper one seems to activate the heaters and glow plugs, both are the same relays.
jerry

Keith_J

The relay points are probably fried. If you have skills, you might be able to file them. But those are real skills.

The ammeter on my 002A had condensate on the inside glass. It wouldn't work so I tore into it. Not having a lock ring tool, I shattered the lock ring. Case came apart, it was the damping magnet on the needle which had broken its bond with the fixture. That came off with two screws, the four pieces came apart with two crimps removed. Magnet was glued back in place, parts cleaned and assembled. Checked for free movement, all is fine.

Oh, that locking ring? Just potted it in JB Weld. Sealed the terminals with acetic acid free RTV (Permatex Ultra).

I am the real MacGuyver. :)

Keith_J

It always helps to find the root cause. I'm not trying to be a donkey, just trying to be helpful. :)

Took a look at that relay, yes you can remove the cover with the two nuts and voila, there are the points. About a 3 on my difficulty scale. you can do it :beer:

storeman

not fried but i did sand the points have not gone into the casing to see if anything below the points appears damaged. Simple compared to what I've been doing so far :)with IP, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks