• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A constant overvoltage no adjustment (how I fixed it)

Jeff001

Hi,

First I want to say I trouble shot this and found the problem. It was a realobvious problem that I did not see for hours. I am only posting here so otherscan learn from my hard head.

The symptoms. When the unit would start it would come up fine, but the voltagein the auxiliary power outlet would go to about 146 volts and actually drift to145 to 147. (this could be my old meterand my older eyes.) The voltage adjust knobhad no effect. I plugged in a heater (1500 watts) and no change. So I put mymeter on the field wires and monitored the DC there and when I would load itthe voltage increased, as it should. When I would turn the voltage adjustmentknob on the front panel it made no difference. The fact that the field wirevoltage changed higher with load made me suspect that the transistors on theregulator board were good. Because it was regulating it was just regulating ata wrong higher voltage.

While tracing wires I spotted the problem. Should have looked at this first. Abroken wire on T1. (See photo attached) The wire was broken right at the eyeletcrimp so I did not see it till I gently pushed on it. With it pushed up theresometimes this wire made a connection and generator worked correctly sometimesit did not and I would get an overvoltage. (see photo)

Broken Wire.jpgBroken Wire_Crop.jpg

Perhaps this will help someone else.

Look for broken or loose wires!!!

Jeff

Last edited:

Grega

Thanks for the info. I had a mep 016d with a simular problem. Voltage was high, turning the voltage adjust had no effect. Changed voltage regulator with a known good one, same problem. Pulled the voltage adjustment knob and seen that the sodder was gone on the connection to the wires. Re soddered and voltage is fine now

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks