• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-002a fuel pumps qut running

couchilla

I have been trying to run down a short on a mep-002a that I just bought. It is popping cb when when in start position after roughly 5 seconds. I switched 15 amp from main electrical box with the 7.5 amp in control panel and it started and ran for 20 seconds then popped cb. I disconnected different plugs and have found that it does not pop cb when one of the plugs going into the air box is undone, but now even with the plug reconnected fuel pumps are not clicking. Wondering if there is a fuse or reset for the pumps specifically that I might have blown/ triggered. I have spent a couple hours reading threads here and haven't found what I'm looking for. Unfortunately electrical is not something I understand very well. aua
Any help would be appreciated.

leedawg

Well I will say this. The CB is there for safety and so you dont burn something else up that is shorting out. The fact that it is popping means there is a short somewhere in the system or something is drawing a tremendous load that usually should not like a stuck fuel pump or something. At any rate putting a larger breaker in is a bad idea because it will put more current on the wiring that was designed for lower amp rating and could cause something to burn up.

So basically the fuel pumps are no longer running from what I gathered from your post. First thing I would do is disconnect the wires going to the fuel pumps and hook your multimeter up to them and see if you are getting voltage there when the switch is in the run position. If not then obviously the pumps are not going to run. YOu then need to start tracing the circuit back till you find where it is broken and not getting power from. This is how I track down problems for pretty much anything electrical. So you do have schematics in the TM so I suggest you start tracing back the system till you find voltage and then figure out why its not getting to its end point which is the fuel pump. I would also start checking the load on each wire going out on the DC side of the system till you find the offending connection that is causing the CB to pop.

couchilla

I thought maybe I had a bad breaker. When it popped the 15 amp I switched it back to the 7.5.
After I reinstalled the 7.5 amp the fuel pumps were running. I disconnected a plug that goes into the bottom of the air box, and attempted to start it, the fuel pumps did not run but it cranked over without popping the circuit breaker. When I reconnected the plug to the bottom of air box and attempted to crank the fuel pumps did not start running again and it popped the cb in 5 seconds or less. I am asking if someone knows if there is a fuse or possibly a reset similar to the overspeed reset on the 004a that I should check. The test that Leedawg is suggesting is well beyond my ability to perform. If it comes to that this will become a parts machine.

storeman

Couchilla,
If you are referring to the louvered box, yes there is a safety switch behind the box that shuts the engine down if overheated. You have to pull the muffler and sheet metal to get to it. Not an uncommon failure and, if one of the leads is disconnected, it could be shorting to the block. If replacement sensor/switch is needed, I may be able to help you.
Jerry :grd:

couchilla

Couchilla,
If you are referring to the louvered box, yes there is a safety switch behind the box that shuts the engine down if overheated. You have to pull the muffler and sheet metal to get to it. Not an uncommon failure and, if one of the leads is disconnected, it could be shorting to the block. If replacement sensor/switch is needed, I may be able to help you.
Jerry :grd:
Would it automatically reset when reattached? Does it work by shutting down the fuel pumps when triggered? I am refering to a box with 2 latches on the bottom that is on the opposite side of the engine from the starter. It appears to contain glow plugs and/or block heater.

jbk

the air box safty is high temp/cutout it would reset if good, check the wires as storeman /jerry, sugested you can jump this switch out if bad. on the opposite side i think your refering to the low oil preasure cutout. you can also jump this switch if its bad. on the fuel pumps if the emp filter is bad it will pop the dc cb. you can bypass this by removing.

storeman

I suggest the next time you see a post by Speddmon, click on the appropriate TMs in his signature and download the documents you badly need.
Jerry 2cents

leedawg

I suggest the next time you see a post by Speddmon, click on the appropriate TMs in his signature and download the documents you badly need.
Jerry 2cents
Agreed have you read the TM yet? ITs a good place to start to get a good overview of how everything works and is put together. The box you speak of also has a glowplug in it to preheat the air moving into the machine with the glowplugs on the cyl. Perhaps yours is bad but what Storeman has said sound like excellent things to try in eliminating possible problems

I went through the trouble of helping ya here are the TM's you need

http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/Generators/TM5-61115-584-12.pdf

http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/Generators/TM9-6115-584-24P.pdf

http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/Generators/TM5-6115-584-34.pdf

Id suggest a huge cup of coffee cozy up on the couch and give these a read. They cover pretty much everything.

Good luck.

Lee

couchilla

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks