• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A Left in Prime/Run for 20min. Is it damaged?

762luver

I set up my MEP-002a for my parents after Irene took out the feed to their house. The Gen Set was running great until I got the phone call in the am that the guy form the power company did not put the set in "OFF". They left it in Prime/Run. My father realized there was a problem when he heard the fuel pump clicking away. He mentioned that it must have been doing that for about 20 minutes until he discovered it and turned the set off.

Could this have damaged anything? I can't normally hear the pump clicking away due to the other racket the green beast is making.

Comments appreciated.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should be fine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, it should be just fine.

Westech

CPL
I think it may be time to get a TM on that gen set and do some reading up on how diesel engines work. Unless the injection pump is rotating (engine running or starter turning engine) there is no way to get fuel out of the injectors. So what if the fuel pump was clicking away. I do not think that 4 PSI will pop a injector... 2500 PSI maybe.

762luver

Westech-
Can you point me to the page in the -10 where it says not to leave in Prime for extended periods of time?

I could not find it.....

Westech

CPL
Here is a little light reading that will help you understand how the diesel fuel system works and that just leaving on a little pump will not flood the cylinders up with fuel.
I did not say that the TM would cover your question but if you were to read and understand the operating system more you would have known the answer to your question.
It is time people do some work for them self's around here.
I was not flaming you but game on I guess.

Love Westy.

Attachments

PeterD

Westech-
Can you point me to the page in the -10 where it says not to leave in Prime for extended periods of time?

I could not find it.....
He really didn't say that... What he said was based on general diesel techniques and practices, in that the 'lift' pump simply will slightly pressurize the fuel system (to about 4 PSI or so) and that won't cause fuel to go anywhere it should not go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks