• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A & MEP-003A Oil Dip sticks -same?

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have just gotten my recently acquired MEP-003A Genset running (Bad Freq Meter and Feq converter and broken speed control cable). I was in the process of changing the oil, when I noticed that there was "5KW" stamped on the dip stick. I have found a copy of the -003A parts manual and found the dip stick part number (123-1146) in it. I have spent the last hour trying to find a -002A parts manual to see if by some chance they use the same dip stick. However, I have come up empty. Anyone know if the -002A & -003A use the same dip stick? A downloadable source for the -002A Parts TM would also be helpful.

DieselBob

They are different numbers. From TM 9-6115-584-24P, for the MEP-002, the NSN is 2815-01-038-5296. The NSN for the MEP-003 from TM5-6115-585-24P is 6680-01-048-9596. Now they could be the same except for the stamping that indicates what they are for.

derf

They use the same style motor, 002 having two cylinders and 003 having 4. So, I would assume the dip sticks are probably interchangeable.

If you can't find any good info, have someone with an 002 measure the OAL and compare it to the OAL of your 003 stick.

PeterD

Not OAL, but the length from the full mark and the point where the dip stick bottoms out in the tube, and the distance between full and empty. Both of these measurements are important, but the overall length is not. Unless you confirm the marks are in the same relative positions there is a possibility that there would be a problem.

Easy 'fix' or check... Fill the engine with the amount of oil that would result in it being one quart (or pint if the fill mark is a pint) low. That's your 'time to add oil' mark. Next add the necessary quart (or pint) and again check--that's your 'full of oil' mark. If they don't match up, then you have to figure out how to correct that

PeterD

Good photos! I'd suspect you could 'adapt' the shorter one in a pinch (drill a couple of holes marking the 'correct' level points) if you needed. :beer:

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good photos! I'd suspect you could 'adapt' the shorter one in a pinch (drill a couple of holes marking the 'correct' level points) if you needed. :beer:
A much easier solution is to note that for the MEP-003A, the full mark is the same as the bottom of the "F" in FULL on the MEP-002A dip stick.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MEP-003S Engine Oil capacity

Not OAL, but the length from the full mark and the point where the dip stick bottoms out in the tube, and the distance between full and empty. Both of these measurements are important, but the overall length is not. Unless you confirm the marks are in the same relative positions there is a possibility that there would be a problem.

Easy 'fix' or check... Fill the engine with the amount of oil that would result in it being one quart (or pint if the fill mark is a pint) low. That's your 'time to add oil' mark. Next add the necessary quart (or pint) and again check--that's your 'full of oil' mark. If they don't match up, then you have to figure out how to correct that
A note on using the manual to see if the dip stick is correct. The manual I have says the MEP-003A takes 6.5 qts of oil. I drained the oil and changed the oil filter on my MEP-003A and added the 6.5 qts, only to have the oil level about 2 inches above the full level on the dip stick. I had run the engine for several minutes before checking the oil to make sure the filter housing got filled up. I pulled the small plug on the oil filter to make sure it had oil in it, and it did. I drained about a quart out of the engine before the dip stick read correctly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks