• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002a Oil and Filter

fastbackperry

Sounds simple but What is the NAPA # for the oil filter for a MEP 002a and what type of oil is recomended for sea level no hotter than 95 degrees f . I was looking through the manual and saw 30, 10, and 15-40 weight I think. On my MEP 003a I used amsoil 5w-30 heavy duty diesel but on the 002 I'd like to use convetional as it is being sold as soon as I change the oil, filter, and batteries. Thank you.

Isaac-1

It seems most people are running 15W40 HD diesel oil, oils have came a long way since the original specifications for these units were written 40+ years ago.

fastbackperry

You'd think it would be easy to find in the manual but I've looked high and low. Vehicle manuals I've had have a specificaton and capacity section. I've not found it in the manuals yet. Table of contents, nothing. Index, nothing. The resource section has the same thing I've looked through without success. Perhaps someone can mention a page number for engine oil capacity on a 002. Thanks.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right in the resources section...

TM 5-6115-584-12, section 4-7 Lubrication, Page 4-5 step #12

"Pour 4 quarts of engine oil (See lubrication order for proper grade of oil) into oil fill tube ((9) figure 1-1)"

TM 5-6115-584-12, Section 4-7 Lubrication, Page 4-4 Very first paragraph

"Lubrication Order. Lubrication instructions for the generator set are contained in LO 5-6115-564-12."

The lube order however is NOT in the resources section. But I am sure you can find it on the internet somewhere

coyote62ny

dont use napa filters in the 002 or 003 they are to short and dont seal properly if at all . use the proper filters fram oil filter number is ch6pl fuel filters are fram c1125pl these filters are available at race mart for 4.90 each for oil filters and 6.09 each for the fuel filters. these filters come with the proper gaskets napa filters dont you have to buy another gasket and they are still to short to seal . you can use what ever filter you want but remember that filter is the only thing protecting your injection pump and engine.

coyote62ny

the oil you should be using is shell rotella 15-40 diesel oil or shell rotella sae 30 diesel oil. a diesel engine requires a good oilto keep the engine clean. also i wouldnt use any of this new senthitic crap in these engines as they are not desighed for it and it may cause damage. the military gets 7000 to 10000 hours out of these engines and they use 15-40 diesel oil.

mistaken1

Slight thread drift. You can use the search feature in adobe reader to search pdf manuals for keywords like "oil" or "quarts" to quickly locate pertinent information.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dont use napa filters in the 002 or 003 they are to short and dont seal properly if at all . use the proper filters fram oil filter number is ch6pl fuel filters are fram c1125pl these filters are available at race mart for 4.90 each for oil filters and 6.09 each for the fuel filters. these filters come with the proper gaskets napa filters dont you have to buy another gasket and they are still to short to seal . you can use what ever filter you want but remember that filter is the only thing protecting your injection pump and engine.
That first sentence should actually pertain to the NAPA FUEL filters. They are the ones that are too short. There is nothing wrong with the NAPA oil filter other than the o-ring gasket that comes with it it not the right size. As far as oil goes, use any oil you want to as long as it is 15w-40 diesel oil. If you can find straight 30 weight diesel oil that would be good too I think the more important factor with the oil is the frequency at which it is changed, rather than the brand. Modern oils are pretty much the same any more.

Also, if you want to go that route, I know of someone who makes and sells spin-on oil filter conversions for the MEP-002a and MEP-003a :oops:

Chainbreaker

You can type in "MEP-002a Spin On Cartridge" on eBay and one will come up. Also, SS member Speddmon (his post above yours /\) has sold these in the past. You could PM him to see if he still offers them for sale.

Edit: Or, look in the SS "Parts For Sale" forum to see if they might still be listed there.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks