• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 10kw diesel genset

homecomfort

Hi again. brought my mep003 home from Fort Meade. looks in good condition. The military takes very good care. Changed all filters, added fuel, read t/m about starting. engine started right up, ran fine for about a minute. had to jump out oil pressure switch, but stayed running, then quit. I suspect air in pump. dumbest question today, how do I purge the air from injection pump? thanks

homecomfort

Hi. I think that was the fuel that was in the pump before I stupidly admitted air from the filters. I failed to purge the filters. I removed oil return line at tank and turned to prime position, but no oil after a few minutes of pump ticking. trying to find in manual for pump purging, but any help is greatly appreciated. thanks. Paul.

homecomfort

got the engine running. noticed with main breaker off, that gauge read 240 volts, but no reading on the hz. gauge. New to this machine, but will learn quick from all of you. thanks. should the hertz gauge read 60 with the breaker off, have not had chance to load test.

Isaac-1

If the Hz meter is working it should read with the output breaker off, same for the volt meter. Note the Hz meter only works over a narrow speed range, running too slow will show off the bottom range of the meter, or may possibly read as high. Never let these generators run at below 60 Hz, as soon as they start you should get them up to 60 Hz, or else you risk burning out the voltage regulator. YOU SHOULD NEVER IDLE THESE

Ike

Last edited:

helomedic1171

is there a way to install a Tach on these even temporarily so I can set it right? or just watch the Hxz and adjust according to sound/Hz meter? I have to replace the link for the idle control because mine is broken, and I don't want to screw up my genset.

bimota

A Tach is built in - the frequency meter is the way to read RPM - these units run at 1800rpm and produce 60 cycles per second (Hz) - so when the unit is running and producing 60 Hz on the meter it is at 1800 rpm. Adjust to that setting and 120 volts output on each phase and it is set correctly.

Isaac-1

If you doubt the onboard frequency meter as they commonly develop issues the cheapest option is to buy a Kill-A-Watt P-4400, which often sell for under $20. (note many cheap (and not so cheap) multimeters have trouble measuring frequency on generators even if they do offer a frequency feature)

helomedic1171

Thanks guys. I'll look into the Kill-a-watt. another question - what's the best way to wash out a fuel tank and purge a fuel system of crappy fuel and water? I got some hoses and the missing pump ( i had two, just needed one) but now I'd like to purge the lines and filters and wash the tank out a bit so I don't gum up the rest of the engine any worse than it might be right now.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might try taking it to a radiator shop. That'd save a mess at home/shop; likely well worth the cost.

jbk

i use a preasure washer for the bad ones, remove all the hardware first. this will also reveal any pin holes from rust in the tank. change your filters and wash the cans.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks