• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 003 fails to crank

Hello everybody and how are things going. okay I need some help with my 003. I can't get my 003 to crank,did the continuity test on the master switch with an ohm meter and that passed. I took the cover off of the K3 relay and the K2 relay. When I turn the master switch to crank or start if you would call it, the starter relay does not pull in. The K2 relay (glow plugs) does.
Allright, so the K3 doesn't pull in. So, while I have the cover off I pushed the relay in with my finger. The starter then starts. I check the starter lockout switch to make sure it's not closed. The brass flat metal is actually bent outward. I believe this should allow the starter to crank.
I then took my test light and connected from the 16 ga wire to the 12 ga. wire on top of k3 relay. Turned the master switch to start and the starter cranked. Is it possible the master switch could be bad, maybe work enough to do a continuity test but not to actually function properly? I also made sure the ground near the batteries was clean and tight.
Something else I am looking for, S7. After looking at the diagram I cannot determin where or what is S7. Is that the oil pressure switch on the adapter?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good evening, metalworker393

DieselBob

S7 is the starter disconnect switch. With the engine stopped the contacts of the metal strip need to be closed to supply a ground for the K3 coil circuit. TM5-6115-585-12, sec 4-28 on page 4-31 tells how to test and adjust the switch. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what you posted your starter lockout switch is not adjusted properly. The contacts should be closed (you should have continuity through the switch) in order for the starter to crank.

Harleyd315

Take apart the connector by the oil filter housing and bypass the stater lock out switch, if the unit cranks over you know its the lock out switch. I have had a couple of these give me a hard time, usually if you run some emory or a nail board in between the contacts they will work.:grd:

Mep 003 crank issue

Thanks for the tip. I took a relay out of an MEP 112 that I have to try to eliminate that. The starter lockout switch does not have a cover on it,wasn't there when I picked the machine up. The wires were soldered onto the connections on that switch. I guess if I put a jumper from the two wires on the lockout switch I could see if it cranks then.
The engine doesn't run. I'm trying to make sure the circuts are intact before I do a heart transplant. I was able to get a 112 from Chambersburg a few weeks ago. Got it home put new filters and oil in it and it started and runs great.
Now if I can get this 003 in order I could proceed with the engine change. Any idea if the wire harness is the same? The harness on the 112 looks brand new, and the 003 has some weathering on it. It would be nice if I could use that too.
Thanks for all of your help, metalworker393

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks