• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003 smoking

Donaldjerome

I recently acquired a mep-003. Upon start up it smokes excessively. Talked to Delks he said they all tend to do that for first 3-5 minites. Here is my question one set of cylinders clears up quite qucik approx 2 minites and the other set takes more like 8-10 minites to clear up. I pulled those two injectors and had them tested 1 needed rebuild. Did not make any difference in how machine runs. The machine seems to start up and run out fine just unusual why one set of cylinders would react so different. Any suggestions or should I leave it be?

3dAngus

I'm a believer, if it works, leave it alone. Of course this does not apply to oil changes.

Hopefully someone on here will tell you to drop water out of the bottom of a fliter or something simple.

Mine clears out in about 1 1/2-2 minutes.

Isaac-1

It could be a number of things, but my first guess would be wet stacking, try running it under 80%+ load for an hour to two to clean it out then see how it does the next time you do a cold start. What color is the smoke?

Ike

panic_button

My mom's will smoke for about 3 minutes (1100 hrs), mine smokes for about 1-2 minutes also (60 hrs).

They clear up and run fine with no smoke after that. I put about 1/2 qt of 2 stroke oil in the tank to keep everything lubed up and also run seafoam and diesel kleen.

Donaldjerome

Smoke is white-ish. As the machine warms up it disappears or becomes more normal diesel smoke. What bothered me is the two cylinders paired up (exhaust) closest to air breather smoke way longer than the two cylinder towards front of gen. It would seem they would all run uniformly unless there is a serious problem i.e piston, rings? Like I said after 10 min of run time all is well. I don't have hooked up where I can really load it up yet.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine puts out a large amount of white smoke for about 30 seconds tops then there is zero smoke. I agree with Isaac-1, put a load on it and let it run. If you have some electric heaters, air compressor, etc. you can load it fairly easily. Load it until the louvers open indicating the engine is up to temperature. I'd let it run about an hour after warmed up or the louvers open. It will warm up faster in warm weather.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You just got it. How long has it sat idle till now? Start her up and put a big load on it, run it for a couple hrs. Let the rings and valves get up to operating temp. Things will loosen and run run as they should in a little bit.