• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 Voltage fluctuation

SmokeyJoeJ

Boy if it's not one thing it is another! Got the Unit running and thought all was well after loading her up and she purred like a kitten. OK maybe a Lion! Anyway I went out last night and started her up and noticed the voltage was bouncing from 180 to 260V. I read the manual and it says to adjust R15 on the Voltage regulator board. I tried this with no response. Has anyone experienced this with their unit? If so was it a bad regulator or do I need to look elswhere?? Any help would be appreciated. I just hate to buy a new regulator and find out that is not the problem.

SmokeyJoeJ

Carl,
I tried it with and without a load with no difference. I need to check the voltage coming into the board but will say it was working fine and even when I first tried it tonight it was steady and then started jumping around. If I put her down on idle and the Freq. is at or below 55HZ then the voltage stabilizes?? As soon as I start to raise the RPM's she starts jumping around. Joe

Carl_in_NH

I concur - that sounds like a bad or dirty adjustable resistor - or other dirty or flakey connection(s) somewhere in the system. Make certain every electrical connection is clean and tight; vibration is very different at different engine RPMs - so seeing the problem come and go at different throttle settings is likely a good indicator of one of the above issues.

Unplug connectors and clean them at the regulator board. Don't know on that generator if the adjustable resistor is in a sealed unit (it is on my MEP-017A). If not sealed, you can clean it with 'tuner cleaner' from Radio Shack - if it is sealed, try working the control back and forth over its full range several dozen times (without the generator running) - that may clear it up for you.

-Carl

SmokeyJoeJ

I took your guys advice and cleaned all ground points and pulled all connectors apart and cleaned the terminals. That seemed to work and I am including a video of her running with load. I think I will load her up this weekend for a few hours to confirm no more problems. Thanks all for the feedback. Joe

Attachments

Carl_in_NH

Glad to hear it's back running - and generating. My next generator will be an MEP-003 - or the same thing in the soundproof housing.

The only surplus generator I've seen turn up locally is the MEP-017A I bought - but I'll keep my eye out for a 003 that I can afford to ship. When you live in an area with ice storms, you just can't have too many generators.

-Carl

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SmokeyJoe, I'm happy to her you got her running better now. Great video, I couldn't hear what you were saying very good, but the set looks to run great. Sounds good. You did a great job on that ratty old engine you got from me...LOL :razz::razz:

Carl_in_NH, if you can find an 003a cheap enough you will absolutely love it! As long as you don't have to go through the mess that smokey did. They will definitely do a good job when they are running good.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks