• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A ASK Insulation Improvement

jonster

I grew up in Northern Minnesota, and we had a cabin that the mice loved to chew on. My grandfather placed a layer of steel wool in front of and behind the insulation in the walls. Mice don't seem to like chewing through steel wool. Although the steel wool is a fire hazard it did work. I keep a perimeter of sticky traps around my 002a, keeps mice and other pests from getting into things. Good luck!

wb1895

Rodents like to live inside my generator because of its ASK housing. Can rodents climb a vertical section of steel box tubing? If not, then it may help if I made a steel frame to lift my genset off the ground on legs of box tubing. I'd still need to do something to keep them from running along any cables, conduits, fuel lines, etc. to get to the generator.

If you build it........They will climb it.......:roll:

dependable

Am following this because the insulation in my 002 ASK unit has seen better days. Would not mind replacing it. With the ASK unit and a added muffler, this generator is quiet enough to talk near and also does not attract a lot of attention to itself.

Had mice ruin a welder once. Most of the above rodent solutions take keeping up with. Mint oil, sticky traps, etc. Have cats, but there are always still some mice around. What do they use in the military when storing these outside? I keep my generators in a shipping container and bring them out use and test with a machine with pallet forks, which is always around. I realize this is not ideal, but it keeps other critters such as mud wasps out too.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Mention of a shipping container gives me an idea. I know that one of the local shipping container vendors routinely cuts up containers and welds the pieces back together to make different configurations. Maybe I could have them fabricate a 10' container, then cut in openings as needed for air in and out, and exhaust out. Some interior ducting and plumbing would also be necessary, and I could screen the openings to keep rodents out. When all was done, it would be a rodent-proof walk-in acoustic suppression kit. I'm not sure how expensive the container would be, though.

Edited to add:

I already have three 20' containers that I use for storage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks