• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A bonding concern/issue

pwatkins87

I am switching 2 MEP 003A's form being SDS's to non SDS setups. I disconnected the neutral bonding cable. and just to be safe I checked continuity between the Neutral Lug on the connection board and the ground lug and I am still measuring a very high resistance of 2. 672 M ohms. My question is, is this standard and just resistance being read through a gauge or transformer in the control panel or is there a bigger issue such as a chaffed/chewed wire or failing component?

I am concerned because I am running the two units mounted together on a fuel trailer that are now feeding two separate panels that have a shared neutral and ground and both panels are bonded. I cant afford to create a bonded neutral at the generator since they are mounted together and share a ground through the fuel trailer frame. If something were to become unbalanced or go wrong with the house wiring, I don't want to have a voltage back feed situation at the generator through the other generators neutral if they are still bonded for some reason.

Attached is a picture of the meter reading.

Thanks for any and all help!
PW

Attachments

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2.6 Meg Ohms is pretty high. How many Meg Ohms do you think it should be with the connection between chassis and N removed, since you are asking this question?

pwatkins87

I honestly don't know. I am still learning the intricacies of these units. What I do know is on almost all civilian units when unbonded there is no continuity between Neutral and Ground, so I guess that is what I was expecting on the MEP-003A.

I am asking as a CYA so I don't burn up any of the control panels or worse lock up a gen head and motor.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I honestly don't know. I am still learning the intricacies of these units. What I do know is on almost all civilian units when unbonded there is no continuity between N and G, so I guess that is what I was expecting on the MEP003A.

I am asking as a CYA so I don't burn up any of the control panels or worse lock up a gen head and motor.
2.6 Meg Ohm with bonding removed is basically any type of moisture from humidity etc between the stator coils and the Genhead housing / chassis

this reading probably would be much higher when measured after the Genset ran for 8 hours with a 80% load and the genhead had a chance to completely dry out.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One add on as bonus for today:

Fluke defines CONTINUITY as follows:

What is continuity?
Electrical
Continuity is the presence of a complete path for current flow. A closed switch that is operational, for example, has continuity.
A continuity test is a quick check to see if a circuit is open or closed. Only a closed, complete circuit (one that is switched ON) has continuity.
During a continuity test, a digital multimeter sends a small current through the circuit to measure resistance in the circuit.
A meter with a continuity beeper briefly sounds off when it detects a closed circuit. The level of resistance needed to trigger the beeper varies by meter, but most will indicate continuity with a measurement between 0-50 ohms.

Link to Fluke Website

so, 2.6 Meg Ohm is not Continuity, but a very very high Resistance.

Since the N is the connection of 3 coils in a Wye scheme, it has normally 0 Volt potential to earth ground when not connected in a fully functioning and balanced three phase system.

As humidity (condensation) builds up on the stator windings then we will get some very high resistance readings like in this case.

2Pbfeet

I am switching 2 MEP 003A's form being SDS's to non SDS setups. I disconnected the neutral bonding cable. and just to be safe I checked continuity between the Neutral Lug on the connection board and the ground lug and I am still measuring a very high resistance of 2. 672 M ohms. My question is, is this standard and just resistance being read through a gauge or transformer in the control panel or is there a bigger issue such as a chaffed/chewed wire or failing component?

I am concerned because I am running the two units mounted together on a fuel trailer that are now feeding two separate panels that have a shared neutral and ground and both panels are bonded. I cant afford to create a bonded neutral at the generator since they are mounted together and share a ground through the fuel trailer frame. If something were to become unbalanced or go wrong with the house wiring, I don't want to have a voltage back feed situation at the generator through the other generators neutral if they are still bonded for some reason.

Attached is a picture of the meter reading.

Thanks for any and all help!
PW
Just for a little extra perspective, Ohm's law, and all that, V=IR, or I=V/R.
So with 240V, and 2.6 million ohms, the current flow would be 0.0923 milliamperes. Per Fluke, above that's not continuity.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks