• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 003a high hertz and surging

willie1982

Hello Everyone, I'm a new member and i wish i'd found this site sooner. I purchased a mep 003a about 2 years ago. I use it to power a large air conditioner in my shop and recently i fired it up and the hertz meter is pegged and the voltage was 180 and rising on the front outlets. I shut it off and disconnected the a/c unit. I then restarted it and flashed it. Now it makes power for about 5 seconds on and off and buries the load guage. IS the regulator to blame and does anyone on here sell parts for this machine? Thank you

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is pegging the load meter, I think it is about time for you to start going some generator head inspection and testing. Should show absolutely NO load with nothing connected to it.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it is pegging the load guage back and forth every 5 seconds or so. I can run a sawzall for a couple seconds then the vlotage drops
When the load meter is getting pegged, do you hear the engine change tone and start to load down like it really has a load on it???

willie1982

yes

It sounds like the engine is loading down. I tried to go through the troubleshooting but, had a hard time figuring it out. thanks for all your help

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it sounds like the engine is loading down then you definitely have a short somewhere in the generator. From the sound of it, it is just an intermittent one as it's coming and going every fer seconds. It could be in the output box, but more than likely it's something in the generator head.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could be that simple, or it could mean a complete generator head rewind. Only some troubleshooting and testing will determine the truth

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The easiest place to start is by taking the two large plugs off of the back of your output box. These are the ones with the generator head leads. Then, meter each large lead to ground. The only only one that should read a ground is the actual ground. The TM has resistance values in it, I believe for the actual coils. So after you check for grounds, you can meter each coil and compare it to the values that the TM says they should be. After that you'll need some more specialized electrical test equipment to check farther.

If you happen to have a spare output box lying around, you can hook it up and see if the problem is truely in the head or the box itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks