• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003A no output

dfullerpt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HELP

Here is what I have going on. I bought the gen set a couple years ago and thru help from this site was able to get it working (thank you all for past help)

We use this generator at a summer place which unfortunately is 160 miles from my house the last 14.2 on a dirt road so it a little tough to trouble shoot. My nephew we think energized the breaker without the unit being up to full speed. and my problems begin

After going through the manual and asking here on the site what our potential problems might be.. we went ahead and bought a Voltage regulator in hopes that it would fix the problem. This past Memorial day I tested the unit still no luck so I replaced the regulator with still no output. We did as the manual said regarding isolation of possible regulator issue or alternator issue by using a 12volt battery and disconnecting the regulator still no output...We checked the Diodes and found 2 that appeared bad. So this past weekend I was able to take off and go up there new diodes in hand in hopes of fixing the unit.

I had trouble reading the numbers let alone direction of the diode due to rust on them. As best we could make out using an ohm meter we determined how they where situated and we replaced all six. Started up the unit still no luck.

So now I have taken the unit apart and brought home everything but the engine. I do work for a local motor shop here in the SF bay area and will drop off the exciter stator, armature and armature stator to be tested and I hope its OK.

But I do have a question regarding the two diode assemblies. We think that each group of diodes (3) work in the same direction for current. Although opposite from the other group of three if that makes sense???? Like one set of three diodes are all positive, the other three are negative.

My next opportunity to go back up is in a few weeks so hopefully I can narrow the problem down.. Any thoughts, advise is greatly appreciated.

Bets Regards
Dennis

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks