• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 004 electrical problem

tony1224

I have a MEP 004 with a electric problem. When the generator is on off position if I put the multi meter on switch S2 you get 24 volt as soon as you put the switch S2 on the run position you loose the 24volts and when you try to start it won't crank. if you go to the fuel solenoid when the switch is on the run position the is no power. Now if you take off the positive wire from the fuel pump then everything works even crank but it won't start cause the wire to the fuel pump is off , I can rum a wire from the battery + to the fuel pump and the generator will start , but none of the gauge will work. I remove the fuel pump solenoid from the pump to test it . when you apply 24 volts to the fuel solenoid
dt it work fine the only thing that happens is about a minute with power the solenoid gets very hot I mean burning hot that will burn you by just touching . My question is it is normal for that solenoid to get that hot or maybe it is a short in the circuit. I an posting this cause I need help and don't what else to do. Thank you

Guyfang

Staff member
Tony wrote:
I have a MEP 004 with a electric problem. When the generator is on off position if I put the multi meter on switch S2 (Where?) you get 24 volt (As long as the CB1, (DC circuit breaker) is pushed in, 24 volts will always be there at S2) as soon as you put the switch S2 on the run position you loose the 24volts (Same place? Or all over?) and when you try to start it won't crank. if you go to the fuel solenoid (Are you talking about the L1, ( fuel cut off solenoid ) on the IP?) when the switch is on the run position the is no power. (On the wire to L1?) Now if you take off the positive wire from the fuel pump (Electric fuel pump? Or L1 wire?) then everything works even crank but it won't start cause the wire to the fuel pump is off , I can rum a wire from the battery + to the fuel pump and the generator will start (Of course. If you hot wire the L1, and have compression, cranking, the engine will start. BUT then the gen set is hot wired and the gages will not work) , but none of the gauge will work. I remove the fuel pump solenoid from the pump to test it . when you apply 24 volts to the fuel solenoid
dt it work fine the only thing that happens is about a minute with power the solenoid gets very hot I mean burning hot that will burn you by just touching . My question is it is normal for that solenoid to get that hot or maybe it is a short in the circuit. (The L1 sits in the IP. The IP is full of fuel. That keeps it cooler. So if you do not have in in something to cool it, it can get hot.) I an posting this cause I need help and don't what else to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks