• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-004 voltage regulator/exciter

catienla

Who can repair a voltage regulator for a mep-004? Cr 7 and cr8 diodes burnt ,cr22 and a couple of others don't look healthy. It's a new year and still working on the generator. Thanks, Mike

jamawieb

Who can repair a voltage regulator for a mep-004? Cr 7 and cr8 diodes burnt ,cr22 and a couple of others don't look healthy. It's a new year and still working on the generator. Thanks, Mike
Have you considered getting rid of the entire box and updating to a newer design. I did a write up on a retrofit voltage regulator for the 004/005. I have several thousand hours on a advr-054 and a marothon se-350 voltage regulator.

catienla

Have you considered getting rid of the entire box and updating to a newer design. I did a write up on a retrofit voltage regulator for the 004/005. I have several thousand hours on a advr-054 and a marothon se-350 voltage regulator.
How difficult is the change over? I am no where near an elecrician.

jamawieb

How difficult is the change over? I am no where near an elecrician.
Super easy. The newer voltage regulators have 4 wire hookup. 2 for the exciter and 2 sensing wires. For the 2 exciter wire hookup, you just attach those to the wire block that is mounted right behind your VR box now. Then run your sensing wires to the reconnection board or the contactor of 2 hot legs. Finally to excite the field you will need to add an excitor push button. You will need a momentary push button, i used a 56 ohm resistor and 5406 diode. Hook one side of the switch to 24v, i bumped off the 24v circuit breaker at the front panel, then the other side goes to f1 excitor hookup which is the same location the new voltage regulator hooks to

catienla

Super easy. The newer voltage regulators have 4 wire hookup. 2 for the exciter and 2 sensing wires. For the 2 exciter wire hookup, you just attach those to the wire block that is mounted right behind your VR box now. Then run your sensing wires to the reconnection board or the contactor of 2 hot legs. Finally to excite the field you will need to add an excitor push button. You will need a momentary push button, i used a 56 ohm resistor and 5406 diode. Hook one side of the switch to 24v, i bumped off the 24v circuit breaker at the front panel, then the other side goes to f1 excitor hookup which is the same location the new voltage regulator hooks to
You mentioned two components advr-54 and se-350 do I need both?

catienla

Thanks for all your help.
Sorry to pester you. The 56ohm resistor wattage and % I don't know. There are several different ones on Ebay. I am assuming the 5406 diode is 3- amp 600 volts. Does the resistor or diode need to be first from the switch? Ordered the Advr-054. If you can help me with the two other parts/questions, I'll try to let you be. Thanks, Mike

jamawieb

Sorry to pester you. The 56ohm resistor wattage and % I don't know. There are several different ones on Ebay. I am assuming the 5406 diode is 3- amp 600 volts. Does the resistor or diode need to be first from the switch? Ordered the Advr-054. If you can help me with the two other parts/questions, I'll try to let you be. Thanks, Mike
Don't worry to much about the exact model of the resistor, but you want to stay in the 50-60 ohm range. Search ebay Dale CW-10 56 ohm. They have some cw-10 50ohm 13 watt. All your wanting to do is reduce the current to the F1 exciter. I went from the switch, to the resistor, then immediately to the 5406 diode, finally to the stud of F1. The resistor reduces current and the diode keeps the current going in the correct direction. On the diode, make sure you put it in the correct direction, it will have a gray stripe on the diode, that gray strip needs to be on the end that will connect to F1. Just in case you didnt know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks