• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-005 50/60 and 400Hz on the Same Genend?

Krc002

Hello All,

I am new to this site and this is my first post, i hope it is well recieved.

I am a student at a college in Maryland, for my senior capstone project i am setting up a biodiesel processor and am currently working on a test engine to test our fuel. i am looking at MEP-005 30 KW generators and have a question about the frequency output of some of these sets. I plan to pick the set up and use it for the project and then take it home with me to run my shop when i start piling up loads that my 12.5 kw onan wont handle, heaters, large motors for dust collection, etc. Wetstacking will be accounted for so this is not a concern either when the heaters are running.

My main concern for right now is the sets that have a nameplate on the side of the unit that lists the options for frequency output, i need 60 hz and have found that many of the sets with the sound suppression kit show the badge shown below. im guessing this is a standard plate on the sound suppression kits and that the other badge is covered leaving the set up to speculation and guesswork for the purchase.

My knowledge of generators makes me question the possibility of having a set that will produce 50/60 and 400Hz. so i thought i would ask this forum what the deal with this is.

Thanks in advance for any help!
KRC002

Attachments

kurtkds

You are correct, that is a standard enclosure that works for both machines.

You'll have to look at the nameplate on the generator itself to verify what you're getting.

I know from experience! :cookoo:

PeterD

The quickest way to tell is to check the frequency meter. The meter will max at about 65 Hz (IIRC) on the 50/60 units, and a bit over 400 on the 400 Hz units. Easy to spot that difference.

ETN550

They would have to use an inverter system to get that big of a frequency spread or a stacked stator and rotor arrangement in the generator end.

BTW is the 002 / 003 series a prechambered or direct injected diesel?

A prechambered diesel would be far better for alternate fuel experiments.

The 016B is direct injected but that engine is it's own design with no relatives.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks