• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-005a Aux Fuel Solenoid

s011883

I have a question. I did a load test today on my Dad's MEP-005A 30 kw generator and we found out that it will only refill the day tank when you turn the battle switch on. I took the solenoid valve off that on the top side on the day tank and made sure it was working. Next we took the float out and found that both floats are working. We know this because the unit will only run about an hour and shuts down with the "no fuel" light on.
Thanks

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fixed the title for you. Try to choose better, more descriptive titles in the future please.

leedawg

So im confused are you asking why the day tank is not filling when the battle short switch is not on? Id say your fuel solenoid is working just fine because the day tank would not fill regardless of switch positions if the solenoid was not working thats what allows the fuel to flow into the tank and stops it from overflowing the tank.

From my understanding the battle short switch overrides the safeties on the set will allow you to run it in an emergency situation where perhaps self destruction is better than not having the power.

So based on what you are saying there must be a fault somewhere when the set is in normal operation mode however usually when there is a fault the set will just cut the power to the solenoid on the injector pump thus shutting it down not starve the day tank of fuel. So the fact that the day tank is not filling when in normal operation mode would mean there is something wrong in the normal operation circuitry somewhere.

Remove the float from the day tank and then without the set running flip the battle short switch on with the start run switch in the run position. You should hear the fuel pumps clicking away. Pull the float switch out you should see fuel filling the day tank. Slide the float switch up on the shaft to the top and the fuel flow should shut off. If not I would imagine you have a problem with your float switch , however what you described seems to be the opposite problem. Id follow the Trouble shooting guide in the TM's. Id also start tracing down the normal operation circuits and making sure you have power at the right points in normal operation.

s011883

What I found out is that there are two floats. The top one keeps the fuel in the day tank full. The bottom float is a safety that will shut the unit down (which will turn the no fuel light on). The floats check out fine. However, I read the TM and did a test on the rectifier and it fails the low ohm test, so I plan to start there. Thank you for all of your help.

Attachments

Triple Jim

You probably know this, but testing rectifiers with modern digital meters doesn't always give you good results. If the meter has a diode test mode, it should work OK, but if you try to use the Ohms scale(s), you'll probably get false readings. Old analog meters work as intended, and are likely what the manual intended technicians to use.

s011883

Good news!

We fixed the problem with the generator shutting down and the no fuel light coming on. When the generator was in normal mode it was not refilling the one gallon day tank unless it was in battle short mode.

I did not find this out on my own. A friend that has some experience working on generators suggested pushing the reset button. It is located on top of the speed sensor mounted on the left side of the engine. This feeds the fuel pump circuit. We pushed the reset and it worked.

We even ran a drain line from the day tank to the main fuel tank just to make sure the pumps cycled about twelve times and the old girl never missed a beat. Here I was thinking this was going to be a huge project. I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help and I hope this helps someone down the road. I have attached a picture of the reset button. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354505305.815229.jpg

leedawg

Super glad it was an easy fix. Went out to start mine today and noticed that the the top two idiot lights were on and then skip a row and the next two were on think short circiut and over speed. Its been raining a lot over the last 4 days hopefully just moisture. The low oil pressures light stays on but the unit does not shut down and the guage reads plenty of oil pressure so who knows.

Going to start new thread.

Jimmie Morgan

Good news!

We fixed the problem with the generator shutting down and the no fuel light coming on. When the generator was in normal mode it was not refilling the one gallon day tank unless it was in battle short mode.

I did not find this out on my own. A friend that has some experience working on generators suggested pushing the reset button. It is located on top of the speed sensor mounted on the left side of the engine. This feeds the fuel pump circuit. We pushed the reset and it worked.

We even ran a drain line from the day tank to the main fuel tank just to make sure the pumps cycled about twelve times and the old girl never missed a beat. Here I was thinking this was going to be a huge project. I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help and I hope this helps someone down the road. I have attached a picture of the reset button. View attachment 396322
I just read your article, I was having problems with my 005A not starting . PUSHED that BUTTON DOWN & the SOB Started . 1 week & count less HRS Fixed Thanks !!!

Jimmie Morgan

Good news!

We even ran a drain line from the day tank to the main fuel tank just to make sure the pumps cycled about twelve times and the old girl never missed a beat. Here I was thinking this was going to be a huge project. I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help and I hope this helps someone down the road. I have attached a picture of the reset button. View attachment 396322
Fixed my Generator By pushing a BUTTON !!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks