MEP 007b engine electrical issues

red

Helping a friend out with his MEP 007b generator. When you turn the ignition switch on and flip it to start the engine turns over, but no current is being sent to the fuel shut off solenoid, the 2 electrical fuel pumps between the main tank/first 2 filters, or the solenoid that is mounted just after those first 2 filters.

Engine does run when current is applied to the fuel shut off solenoid and the fuel hose is run to a separate fuel can.

Guyfang

Have you all ever seen this gen set run right? Or did you all just get it from someone else in a non-op condition?

Do you have all the manuals?

Do you have any idiot lights on when you stop turning it over?

Guyfang

The two most likely causes of the gen set not starting are:

1. Magnetic Pickup not properly adjusted, the end ground off, missing or is simply defective.
2. Overspeed switch is tripped or defective.

red

He messaged me today. 2 lights on when the engine is not running. Low oil pressure (usual with any engine) and what he called the 'high rev' light.

Alright so pics for reference. When positive power is applied to the lower terminal on the fuel shutoff solenoid it opens up and the engine starts when pulling fuel directly from a 5 gallon fuel can. Stop applying power to the solenoid by using my little electric probe and the engine shuts off.

9152.jpg 9150.jpg

Traced the wires back to the box at the top.

9147.jpg

Routes in through the large plug at the bottom left corner.

9149.jpg

Picture from the opposite side.

9140.jpg

red

Update. Reset the overspeed (which cleared it's light) but there is still no electrical power going to the shutoff solenoid/everything else engine related.

Guyfang

I have to admit, I dont know. But the reinstalling and test set up is in the -34 manual. Something you are not suposed to have. I will also ask a friend who should know.

If you are still having the problem you started with, the S9 and mag pickup are a good place to start.

Last edited:

Guyfang

He told me that when turning over the engine with the dead crank, you should get 2.5 AC volts. BUT, He also told me to GO BY THE BOOK!! Measure the depth and do it that way.

Sorry I forgot. We are over loaded here.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He told me that when turning over the engine with the dead crank, you should get 2.5 AC volts. BUT, He also told me to GO BY THE BOOK!! Measure the depth and do it that way.

Sorry I forgot. We are over loaded here.
Ok, im going to have to correct your friend here. I have 5 of these units in the lot right now and the newest, an early 90's unit would not start. I suspected the magpickup. Took it off, cleaned the tip and reinstalled it to 9.5vac. Started right up.
How did i get to 9.5vac, well i took the reading off another working unit and that one fluctuated between 9 and 10.5vac. Fluctuations were due to using a set of batteries that were not fully charged. Presto!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks