• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016A (D) Voltage Output Issue

1FAST4

Picked up two MEP-016D's (016A refitted w/ Yamar Diesel) for GL. This one(Tan) fired right up after flushed, fresh fuel and oil. Runs great!

The issue is the output voltage; it's showing right at 172 volts on the volt meter and at the outlets when running at a steady 60Hz.

Voltage will not change when you rotate the "Voltage Increase" knob in either direction. Everthing else is set per the TM and appears to be fuctioning.

Bad Rotary Switch, Voltage Reg.....????

These are the first Gen Sets I have ever worked on so, thanks in advance!!!!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pegged voltage with no ability to adjust usually indicates a screwed up voltage regulator. I'm not sure what the boards look like but in the MEP-002a and MEP-003a's that symptom is unually indicative of a bad output transistor

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
probably a fairly easy fix though, because the boards are fairly simple and full schematics are in the TM

derf

VRs are not too hard to find and not too hard to fix.
They are the same for 3600RPM gens like 016, 017, 018.

1FAST4

Here's a few Pic's of the VR. Is a bad output transistor easily diagnosed/replaced? I am pretty mechanically inclined but have never worked on a generator before especially the electrical end, but I am willing to give it a shot. Or, would it be just as easily to replace the VR; that I can handle.

Pegged voltage with no ability to adjust usually indicates a screwed up voltage regulator. I'm not sure what the boards look like but in the MEP-002a and MEP-003a's that symptom is unually indicative of a bad output transistor

Attachments

derf

As electronics go the VR is pretty simple to work on. You'll need basic soldering skills.
Testing procedures should be in the TM. Components can be found online.
Transistors are usual suspects. When soldering transistors, in general, you want to avoid overheating them. A small soldering iron is usually best on small components.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks