• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016A or C Setup Approval

max1008

This is what I currently have
mep016 with gasoline engine.
220v welder at 25amp with a 50' extension cable with dryer plugs.
House uses a gas furnace forced air pump and I beleive a 220v water heater.

I want to make an outlet box with a dryer outlet and a twist lock outlet and a 10' pigtail that I can hook into the generator lugs.
I am going to install a twist lock outlet on my house taping into my panel.
This way i can use the gen to power my welder and in emergencies hook it into my house panel.

Does anyone see any issues with what I am going to attempt before buying wire and outlets?
I am thinking of using 10/2 wire for the pigtail to my outlet box?

steelypip

This sounds like a suicide plug setup unless I'm missing something. No, I (and code) don't approve.

There's nothing wrong with having a dryer socket and a four-lug twist-lock socket on an outlet box. Where you get in trouble is in connecting to the house wiring without some kind of interlock kit or transfer switch to positively disconnect the house from utility power before it is connected to the generator. Likewise, ANY time you can have power applied to exposed male plug pins is a no-no.

If local code allows it, you can probably do this cheapest by installing an interlock kit and backfeed breaker to a four pin plug going into the panel. Power can either come directly from the generator, or can go through your outlet box into a M-F four-pin cable to the panel.

See this thread for a very complete discussion of the right and wrong ways to connect a generator to your house wiring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks