• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 016a

combat32

I picked up this little genset a couple of years ago at Hooks, replaced the carb, fuel pump, plugs and air filter and it has been a great running genset, it saved my bacon this week as we had a big ice storm her and we were without power for 3 days. I was able to run my central heat and some other essentials off of it, but it has developed a quirk, after it warms up and it is running good it will shut down sometimes like like I flipped the switch and killed it, no fuel problems, I am thinking the coil is going, anyone one here with some experience on these sets? I have gone through the manuals(don't have the engine specific manual and the governor is adjusted correctly, thanks

Attachments

Grega

Could be anything ignition related. Coil, points, condenser. I would consider the electronic ignition changover. Ive seen them for around $50 on the auction site. Ive done this couple years ago on my mep 016a, but there is little on documentation on doing it. But I got it figured out.

combat32

I was thinkin of doin the upgrade to electronic ignition, found the engine manual online, it has detailed pics of both , that's always a help. I saw that Saturn has the kit does it not come with instructions?

Jeepsinker

Mine came with a yanmar 3.8 diesel on it and it was doing that too. Turns out it had some trash in the fuel tank selector switch that would gather up and clog it every so often. Check and see if you still have fuel supply when it happens again.

combat32

I had one bad capacitor, readjusted the carb and put in some new plugs, she is running great now, ready for round 2 of winter. This is a great set, easy to work on, kinda thirsty but I am pretty happy with it.

Another quick question for those of you who operate a 4A032 on a regular basis, the LO calls for 15/40 oil, back in the day when I used to work with these in the Army I know we used straight 30 wt, any recomendations? thanks

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks