• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016C load tested to 4100kW

ryax85

A little history, I won a bid months ago on a m101 communications trailer, had 2 ab952 masts, antennas, cables, and two MEP016c's. I finally got the one going after tinkering. It being a 1977 genset sat in a lot for at least 10 years says the fire chief who acquired the package from the forestry service. After being told that the generators should be scrapped as they had many years of growth made me more passionate to get them running. A good cleaning inside and out, new fuel pump, spark plugs, oil filter, oil, air filter, fuel filter and a scrubbed down carb refreshed with gaskets, it started! Smoked a little and then quickly cleared up.

With less then 5 flawless hours, I went on and loaded her up.. She took 4100 watts like a champ. I tested each appliance with city power and came up with 4061watts/33.6 amps, but when hooked to the generator I added the totals up to 4200+, I'm thinking that the higher number was "startup wattage." Whatever the case, after searching I was never able to find one loading up a MEP016, just idling videos, so bare with me at this is my first "educational" video.

On a side note this MEP had a carb with a brass float :mrgreen: I unloaded the other MEP from the trailer yesterday and tinkered, oddly it has a foam float (ordered the brass Oregon float today), missing an idle screw, and a fuse cap which I have a thread about.

Here is the video of the MEP016 loaded http://youtu.be/sfKqJfxkYe4

Last edited:

Triple Jim

Good load test, thanks for the video. If the 4200W at the generator was measured at 120V, but your commercial power was 118.6V, that would account for the difference, assuming all the loads were resistive.

Triple Jim

It's also convenient to remember it as P=V²/R. Since R is (nearly) constant in your test, power is proportional to the square of the voltage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks