• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016c - Will not Turn over

Timberwolf22

I picked up two MEP-016c's this last week from GL and have been working to get one of them online.

The MEP-016c has had all new fluids [Gas & Oil], new Oil filter and I replaced a few missing fuses as well as attached a pull cord.

Enjoyed the punctured gas tank that gave me a good reason to hose off the driveway but that has now been fixed as well.

I downloaded the TM and started some basic troubleshooting - things like checking the fuel selector level was set for on-board tank and the run switch was in the proper position.

I don't have any external starting solution for the 016c so I am stuck using the starter rope solution.... feels like I am getting compression when I attempt the manual start.

Tomorrow it is off to the auto parts store for some starting fluid to see if I can get the engine to turn over at all.... Pulling plugs and getting deeper into the engine is next on the list.

Any suggestions on where to go next with the generator would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

Last edited:

derf

Fuel and spark. Make sure you have spark before you waste your time with carb and/or pulling the rope.
The carbs on those gassers seem to be allergic to Ethanol (most pump gas). It ruins the floats and makes them flood.
Pull a plug or all the plugs and make sure you have spark.

Usually "Will not turn over" means it won't rotate.

Timberwolf22

Thanks for the recommendations..... I am pulling the plugs today and making sure to spend some time going over the fuel system.

I did notice some interesting differences between the two MEP-016c's on the fuel valves that come off the tank... one of them has an more elaborate setup for accepting an external fuel tank hose while that entire component is missing on the 2nd MEP-016c.

Todd

The C model should be the Electronic Ignition. The A is the points version. I've got an upgrade kit to convert my A to a C model. Clean the carb for sure. I'd go ahead and pull the pupm apart as well. Ethanol eats the diaphragm in them as well as the rubber fuel lines and casuing the float in the carb to swell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks