• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016D genset startup problem

farmerdave217

Yanmar L70 diesel on MEP-016D with 1 hour on meter won't start. Unit purchased from Government Liquidation had been setting with old fuel in tanks. Prep for startup found no fuel pump pressure. After unsticking the fuel pump and injector, the unit just blows white smoke during crankup but won't start. My next thought was compression, but it seems to have compression because I can't pull the start cord without setting the decompression switch. Would anyone have any idea the problem or what I might look at next?

derf

Late reply but mine had a stuck injector pump.
Removed, freed, lubed, replaced injector pump and all is well now.

Carl_in_NH

White smoke indicates fuel is getting into the combustion chamber, but there's not enough heat being developed to make it sustain combustion and fire off the engine.

This is how the larger MEPs act when the glow plugs are not working, or you're not spinning them fast enough to develop sufficent heat in the combustion chamber.

Q: Is your starting battery fully charged?

Q: Does the starter seem to be spinning the engine fast enough to fire up, or is it turning over slowly?

Could be battery, interconnections, or starter causing your problem, but it sounds to me like you're just not developing enough heat to get combustion going properly.

ODdave

it is a 24 volt starter on the unit right? and you are useing 24 volts to start right? almost sounds like you may be spinning it with 12 volts.

derf

The Yanmar L70s are easily started with the pull rope. I don't think they need much RPM at all to fire up. Once I got the air purged from the injector line it started on the first pull.
I'm pretty sure a 12V battery would start a 24V Yanmar L70.
I have a Yanmar L100, too, and it is pretty much the same.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks