• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016D Wiring

Stob

Well, I bought/won one a year ago, and things have just gotten in the way for me to mess with it, but I'm getting back into it. My purpose was to set this up to a manual transfer switch for back-up house power, in which I need single phase 230V for my well pump. Since this isn't exactly set up that way, there was a re-wiring post/instructions somewhere to make this work. I think I have the link saved.

However, I have asked around to some people I think are pretty savvy on things, and they say it would be no harm to simply wire the 230V legs to two of the three lugs and set the gen for 3 phase operation. And I could also use the third leg to power a normal 120V circuit.

Any thoughts?

Isaac-1

It is simple enough to rewire these for correct 120/240V operation, as to those people that are telling you to just operate it in 120/208 3 phase and wire up 2 legs. This might work, but I would not try it without confirming the pump motor is 208-230V rated (some are, some are not). I don't have the 120/240V single phase wiring modification in front of me at the moment, but someone should be along with a link to it, or you can use the search function to find it, this basically involves making a jumper to bring the neautral out in 240V single phase mode. This modification may already have been done, in my limited experience MEP-016D's are often not wired "by the book" so double check for wiring modifications inside the control box.

Ike

Stob

Ike,

Here are two replies regarding the re-wiring for 240V, from the same poster:

What you probably want on you generator is 120/240 volt. There is not a place on your voltage selector for this but you can still get 120/240 with a modification On my Mep 016A generator, the only way to get 120/240 volt is to open up your control box, put the voltage selector to 240 volt. Then run a piece of #10 wire from LO to TB6, or the 6th spot on the terminal board. One is furtherest away ang the 6th one is the closest to you as you face the gauges. Do not switch the voltage selector after you do this. I would assume your MEP016D would be the same.

I messed up on my typing. The furtherest terminal is #1 and the closest one is #6, facing the control panel. Doing this mod. will give you 120/240. L1 to L2=240. And L1 to L0=120, L2 to L0=120volt. But make sure you keep the 120 ballanced, or try to keep the same amount of load on each 120 volt legs, or somewhat close. Hope this helps. Greg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks