• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-017 Genset Completed

Armada

Thought I'd share some before and after pics of the 5K genset I picked up this year. It was complete when I got it from GL (Great Lakes, Il. base). It came with the grounding rod and fuel pick-ups and pick-up extensions for 2 cans. It actually worked as received, although the battery was shot.
I went through it and tuned it up, filters, fluids, plugs, etc., upgraded the 2 pin slave receptacle to the NATO single (thanks Leonard!), added rollers for ease in moving around, and repainted it back to the original 24087. The starter needed a rebuild and I replaced the battery. I mounted a fire extinguisher. 851 hours on the clock.
I'll be using this for a back-up power source for the house. It stays in the garage and I connect the exhaust to the furnace stack via a flexible exhaust pipe. I have a 24v solorgizer that sits in the window and is connected to the battery to keep it fresh (thanks Bjorn). This forum is a great source for help/parts.

Attachments

Boatcarpenter

Very nice Paul! One question though. If it bursts into flames are you going to want to reach through them to grab that fire extinguisher!! Or do you think it will get hot enough to explode and put the fire out all by itself?

Armada

Nice Paul. Now what about the 3K sets?
Thanks Chuck. I've got 1 of the 3k's almost complete. I need to mount the gen head to the engine yet. Its been repainted and tires added to the skid. I'll post pics when done.

Looks good bud!
Thanks ADR

Very nice Paul! One question though. If it bursts into flames are you going to want to reach through them to grab that fire extinguisher!! Or do you think it will get hot enough to explode and put the fire out all by itself?
Thanks BC. LOL...Isn't that the way those extinguishers work??..... errr, maybe it's halon....I get the 2 confused... aua

Where did you get the 24V battery?
Ebay. I guy in California sells them for $50. They are NIB.

Looks great! What brand of paint is that?
Thanks JD. It is Gillespie paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks