• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-018a magneto problems...

subternal

Hi guys,

New to post but long time reader...

So here's my story..I bought 2 MEP-018a gensets the other day; both HAVE run, meaning I was witness to both of them running. One I thought had a fuel line clog and bad fuel pump the other had a bad starter solenoid. So after cleaning out the fuel lines in the first one and replacing the fuel pump (that wasn't pumping any fuel) I got a good steady squirt of juice but I found I had no spark. For all of you that will probably jump in, I already checked my oil pressure cut-out switch (it was good), tried removing the grounding wire to the mag casing and cleaned and checked the gap for the points, still no dice. Since I told you I had a 2nd mep-018 that was functional I tried that mag and I did get spark ( and later on a 2nd running generator).
So my question is, after disassembling the 1st non-sparking (thats a technical term) magneto I tried to see if I could completely take it apart to maybe clean up the magnet inside and the casing but couldn't get it all to come apart. Also there is a little bit of play in the shaft and the magnet cylinder so I dont know if that may ground the mag out and not give me a spark? Is it worth trying to disassemble or try to find a new/used working one?

This is a Fairbanks-Morse mag FMPE4B

Does anyone possibly have one they are parting out and willing to sell for $$?? Anyone that has been through this or could possibly advise on what I should could do that would be great.

Oh and BTW I already tried Saturnsurplus and they have a "slick" mag thats not quite the same but they also have a Fairbanks mag different part number but looks exactly the same, again any info would be great!!

Attachments

panzerwillie

Is being a while for me thank god my is being running good for last 4 years i turn it on every month, does the mag load up and snaps every time you turn it, i got a MAG from Saturn before as long as is listed under the 10KW it will work i know there is diffrent styles of mags i personally have own several and seen difrent style mags, you can also test them outside with a plug on the wire when you spin it and a loads and makes the snap sound it follows by a spark good luck...

subternal

it does snap when I turn it, just no spark...not quite sure how I can test it other than what I have done ( hooked a spark plug up to it and twist!)

coyote62ny

check the condenser it could be bad best to just replace it . gap the points at .015 thousandths and make shure they are clean spray them with electrical cleaner to remove any oil .clean the terminals in the cap where the rotor spins against . replace the cap and put a plug in the wiresand ground the plug to the mag case and spin the impuls coupler you should get a spark on one plug or the other. also check the insulator washers on the stop wire screw where it passes through the mag case if they are damaged or missing you wont get a spark because the spark is going to ground. hope this helps you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience has been that once the points are filed, they stop functioning right quick. Other than that, I've had really good luck with the mags.

jbk

the coil could be bad. i know i have a few of these somewhere. ive also used the slick rhe work fine. you really need a timming light on these once they have been removed.

subternal

okay so here's an update...

I tried testing different areas for continuity against the casing ground and found that the red wire that comes from the coill is grounded but the continuity never changes for the points whether open or closed...this didn't seem right. I tested the actual coil output against the casing for voltage and got a read for every click but no spark...does that help anyone??

subternal

the coil could be bad. i know i have a few of these somewhere. ive also used the slick rhe work fine. you really need a timming light on these once they have been removed.

speaking of timing light where do you get 1 for these things I have a automotive 1 which I'm assuming won't work since it's 12 volt am I correct

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks