• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep -16B Stator magnets. How to magnetize?

juice28

Hi All,

I am a newbie and hoped that someone might be able to help me out. I recently bought a Mep-16B generator in as-is condition. It looked to be in okay shape and had 900 hours showing. I got it home and found it had a burnt up stator and the magnets had disintegrated inside it. Both voltage regulators tested bad and I ordered those. I replaced the stator with a NOS one I found on ebay. I found these ferrite non magnetized magnets on ebay and ordered a set.

REMOVED AUCTION LINK

Does anyone know how in the heck to magnetize them? or who I could send them too?

Thanks for any help at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

87Nassaublue

Are you sure what you bought on ebay wasn't just ferrite beads and not magnets? If it's not magnetized, wouldn't it just be ferrite? I've never hear of such, but I suppose when you manufacture them, they have a process of magnetizing them. I know to magnetize something, you stroke the item to be magnetized on a real magnet many times but only in one direction. I doubt you could get enough magnet strength transferred into the beads to create the field to run the charging circuit using the stroking process. Maybe one of the other guys is more knowledgeable in this area. I just finish going through a 016b, but thank goodness I didn't have to get into the generator portion.

juice28

Are you sure what you bought on ebay wasn't just ferrite beads and not magnets?

The link I put on the above was taken out, but it would have helped people to see the picture. They are not beads... They are non magnetized ferrite.

If it's not magnetized, wouldn't it just be ferrite?

Correct

I've never hear of such, but I suppose when you manufacture them, they have a process of magnetizing them. I know to magnetize something, you stroke the item to be magnetized on a real magnet many times but only in one direction. I doubt you could get enough magnet strength transferred into the beads to create the field to run the charging circuit using the stroking process.

Correct you need a very a strong magnetic field to align the atoms in ferrite.

Maybe one of the other guys is more knowledgeable in this area. I just finish going through a 016b, but thank goodness I didn't have to get into the generator portion.
The stator and these ferrite pieces are actually in the engine.