• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 16e Yanmar Starting problems

maxjohns

Hello, I have been working on a new MEP 16e with the Yanmar L100 for several weeks and having issues getting started. When I first got it it did start but then one time when I shut it down using the stop switch it acted strange, surging in power until it died. Now When I try to start it it turns over hard and will only crank for a few revolutions before my battery is run down. Sometimes it will also make a chirping sound like something is slipping or holding it back. I have checked injectors and timing and the spray patterns are good at injectors and timing is very good. I have tried new diesel, checking for leaks in all the lines. I have also been working recently to adjust governor and that seems to help as last night I had it cranking and firing some but still wouldn't start. I'm at a loss with this one and looking for some expertise to help me fix this generator as it is in good shape otherwise. The other thing I did was to remove the bellhousing and pull the gen off a ways to see if anything was wrong with the linkage between the gen and motor as I had read that that can get loose causing a siezing problem. I couldn't tell if this was a problem as I couldn't find a key to tighten it down. Thanks to anyone that can provide some thoughts. T

ETN550

Hello, I have been working on a new MEP 16e with the Yanmar L100 for several weeks and having issues getting started. When I first got it it did start but then one time when I shut it down using the stop switch it acted strange, surging in power until it died. Now When I try to start it it turns over hard and will only crank for a few revolutions before my battery is run down. Sometimes it will also make a chirping sound like something is slipping or holding it back. I have checked injectors and timing and the spray patterns are good at injectors and timing is very good. I have tried new diesel, checking for leaks in all the lines. I have also been working recently to adjust governor and that seems to help as last night I had it cranking and firing some but still wouldn't start. I'm at a loss with this one and looking for some expertise to help me fix this generator as it is in good shape otherwise. The other thing I did was to remove the bellhousing and pull the gen off a ways to see if anything was wrong with the linkage between the gen and motor as I had read that that can get loose causing a siezing problem. I couldn't tell if this was a problem as I couldn't find a key to tighten it down. Thanks to anyone that can provide some thoughts. T

Describe the condition when running before shutdown, loaded, hot, cold, how long running, etc. Was it smoking at all when shutdown or surging? Does the shutdown solenoid on that unit close the fuel or does it trip a spring that snaps it shut? Was the fuel rack all the way off?

The surging is either a poorly adjusted shutdown linkage or if it was smoking at all then I would say it might be seizing and was burning motor oil like it was trying to keep running. Hopefully that is not the case.

The fact that there is noise and the starter is laboring indicate something is wrong mechanically, not fuel system related. Not sure about the Yanmar but you need to pull the rope starter recoil and get on the crankshaft to turn it over by hand and see what resistance you feel. 1 complete cycle is two full revolutions. Pull the valve cover and have a look as you turn it over. Make sure the valves work ok and there are no bent push rods bent valves or stuck valves and the valve lash is okay. The top end can get very dry if the unit sat a long time and did not run much. Valves could be tight or stuck. Does it still have good compression? Does it have a good battery?

Is this the unit from cleveland, TN that was on E-bay? Just wondering don't see many 016E. I have two 016Bs.

maxjohns

Thanks for the ideas. When I check the pull starter everything feels good and compression seems perfect. It seems like the problem occurs under the higher load of the starter and something slows it down. I will recheck the valves but they looked good last I checked. Do these motors have a Pcv system as to me it seems system pressure is too high. Could I be getting too much air or fuel or could compression pressure not be moving right? The first time I had it running I shut it down with the stop lever and it didn't want to shut off and was surging but not smoking. Also I had forgot to turn off the main breaker before shutdown could this damage electronics causing a heavy load when starting? My battery is pretty good but I may try another one. I have a second 16e that starts great with same battery. I bought these a few months ago in Massachusetts. Nice units. Thanks for ideas I am at my knowledge limits.

derf

Make sure the injector is installed correctly. When you hit the stop lever it should stop with no fuss. You need to pull the access cover from the injector and make sure the injector control lever is not outside the "U" that operates it. If the injector and fuel system is clean and everything else is OK that might be your problem. There are links to the Yanmar service manual pdfs in the threads somewhere. See pic. The control lever is part of the injector and the part that operates it is in the block and connected to the governor. There is a small plate on the outside of the injector (it would be above the control lever in the pic) that you remove to visually set the control lever in the "U" when you install the injector. IIRC you have to center the "throttle" and the control lever when you re install the injector. If you (or someone else) didn't do this when the injector was put in it may be causing your problems.

Attachments

Last edited:

coyotegray

I have had the throttle solenoid on two of these engines fail... Something to check. Will it start if you manipulate the throttle by hand...? When you flip the start switch to "run" the solenoid should move the throttle forward.... You can hear it ...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks