• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A high oil pressure

cscott719

I have the DN2M/LPW2 engine from one of these that I acquired several years ago. I used it to build a home brew generator, which has been working reliably for the past 2 years. A month ago, it had a hard start condition, and would only fire on one cylinder. After a bit of tinkering, doing nothing significant, it started and ran fine on both cylinders. Since then, I had the same thing happen a couple of times. I use this machine nearly every weekend to run equipment out in the barn. After some reading on this site, I found some articles mentioning that high oil pressure would cause the lifters to pump up and hydraulically lock, preventing the valves from seating. This results in loss of compression at the least, and valve to piston contact at the worst. I went back out, and paid more attention to how it sounded when cranking, and realized it only had compression on one cylinder. When it did start, the RPMs would never increase past about 500 or so (no tach, I adjust speed with a frequency meter), which when running on one cylinder, was not enough to keep it running. Oil pressure was about 75 psi, the book calls for less than 30 psi. I did not do a compression test, but I suspect one cylinder has zero or close to it due to the valves sticking open, and the other has low compression, just enough that it hits, barely. I pulled off the valve covers, and I cannot spin the push rods by hand regardless of position on cam lobe. I also noted that while it was not completely dry in the rocker box, it did seem that it was not getting a lot of oil. I drained the oil, removed the side cover (door, as the Brits call it) and removed the oil pressure relief valve. By the way, there was some sludge in the bottom, but no filings or anyting magnetic in the crank case. I disassembled the valve, which was clean inside, and full of oil. the spring and plunger seems to move freely without binding. I cleaned it all up and put everything back together using 10W40, as it is cold here and the manual says it is good to I think about 60 degrees or so ambient. I started the engine without the valve covers. It started and ran as it should, hitting on 2 cylinders with enough power to pump the air compressor back up, but there was very little if any oil spraying from the rocker sockets where the push rods seat. I looked at the LPW2 service manual, and it does leave some to be desired. Evidently, the pump pulls oil through the screen, then through the filter, then to the main bearings. Then goes to the rods, and is slung around to everything else. So, evidently no pressurized oil to the cam bearings. But there is another passage that feeds pressurized oil to the lifters. It appears that the relief valve is not bypassing enough or at all, causing the high oil pressure, which is locking the lifters, preventing the valves from closing. But that does not explain the lack of oil through the push rods to the rockers. My experience is with automotive engines, and very little on diesels. so it is likely that I am missing something here. But it seems that the rockers should get more oil then they are. I don't want to remove the heads because of the lack of new head gaskets, but I will look for some today if necessary. Today, my plan is to remove the relief valve again and check it over. and then to remove the pushrods and make sure they are not clogged up. Hopefully, they are, and cleaning them up will allow better oil flow to the rockers. My question to you all is have you seen this before, and what was done to fix it? Also, does anybody have a line on parts for these engines, specifically top end gaskets and the oil pressure relief valve? Does anybody recommend running diesel fuel in the crankcase to clean out the oil passages? If not, what would you use? Thanks to all, you are a wealth of knowledge.

Ray70

You are correct with regards to the relief valve pumping up the lifters when it sticks. You can try Mayi Diesel or ebay or search on line for a replacement.
It is probably also available from Cummins on line.
Look in the parts TM for the PN, or look on line for it.
Gaskets are also readily available on ebay for cheap. search with LPW2 or DN2M do not search MEP-802 unless you want to pay 10X more than you need to.
I wouldn't really recommend diesel in the crankcase to clean. I would use ATF if anything.
Your other issue here could be your choice of oil. I see you are in CO. what are the temps there? if it is outside and temps are very cold you should consider using 5-40 synthetic diesel oil. 10-40 may still be a bit thick when cold.
As for the rocker arm oil, from my experience, these motors send barely any oil at all up the the rockers, unlike your typical American V8.
With it running and valve covers removed you will barely see any oil up there at all, but there should be some just barely dribbling out of the pushrods.
Lastly, there are internal passages connecting the mains to the cam bearings if I recall.

cscott719

Thanks for the replies and the parts sources. I took the side cover and rocker covers off again today. The rest of this is going to cause some of you to smack yourself in the forehead because I know its not right, and about as redneck as a guy can get. But I have nothing to lose, so I did it anyway. One of the push rods is slightly bent. So I straitened it out as much as I could. They are all clear though, and not clogged up. I also took the spring out of the relief valve and compressed it in the vice. I measured about 1/10 shorter, and put it back together again. I let the lifters bleed down while I reassembled everything else. The engine has good compression on both cylinders when rotating by hand. oil pressure went down by 20 psi. Both are hitting normally and the engine has all of its power back. I am running 10w40 in it still, outside temp today is high 40's. Ill run it like this while I source a push rod and valve. Ill get a top end gasket set too. Once I have all of that, Ill pull the heads and lifters, and disassemble those. In the mean time, backwoods engineering can sometimes get the job done.

Ray70

The bent pushrod is exactly what you get when lifters pump up. Not only do you loose compression from the lifters holding the valves open but the valves will just about tough the top of the piston. Luckily the valves are perfectly flat with the piston so you usually tweak the pushrod but don't usually bend the valve.
Mayi diesel also carries pushrods, but after buying more than my fair share at $18 each, I also took on the straightening method as well.
I agree 10-40 is fine at your current temps, so it's gotta be a problem with the relief valve.
FYI, Onan PN is 186-6031
Surprisingly, Green Mountain appears to be reasonably priced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks