• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A issues. No voltage on L1

eric78114

Have an MEP-802A and am having voltage generating issues.

Worked on a few of these, just first time with generator head issues. Reading through the manual while its raining to make sure I can tackle it best once it clears up.

Has been a weird generator with some issues. Where harness runs through the lower portion to behind the control panel had connection issues and wouldn't start. cleaned connections and starts now.

The AM-VM switch will only show voltage on voltmeter gauge when its on L2 and L3 only options. 120 and 240 volts on the gauge and anything with L1 is completely zero.

AC interrupter doesn't have any change on the power output lugs.

Convenience port works at 120V

No lights on the malfunction indicator

My current thoughts are that either L1 is "dead" from a break or disconnected wire. And AC interrupter is detecting a lack of voltage on the leg and not "connecting"

I will be testing the AC interruptor switch to make sure that is good. Testing AC reconnection switch, Interuptor relay, and a visual check of everything in that area.

Just looking for any other ideas or things to check.

I believe I can check the resistance on each winding (T1-T4, T7-T10, T3-T6, T9-T12, T2-T5, T8-T11) at the reconnection switch or another easy way with minimal disassembly?

Anything else? the manual has so much info but sometimes finding the right section isn't always the easiest to diagnose right.

Thanks for the help

Guyfang

Staff member
You wrote:
Have an MEP-802A and am having voltage generating issues.

Worked on a few of these, just first time with generator head issues. (Do not assume. It could be something very simple.) Reading through the manual while its raining to make sure I can tackle it best once it clears up.

Has been a weird generator with some issues. Where harness runs through the lower portion to behind the control panel had connection issues and wouldn't start. cleaned connections and starts now.

The AM-VM switch, (S6) will only show voltage on voltmeter gauge when its on L2 and L3 only options. (What the S6 shows you is not as important as what a DMM shows you at L1, L2 and L3.) 120 and 240 volts on the gauge and anything with L1 is completely zero. (At the L1 lug?)

AC interrupter, (K1) doesn't have any change on the power output lugs. (Better to check at the input side. That way, if K1 is defective, you will see it.)

Convenience port works at 120V

No lights on the malfunction indicator

My current thoughts are that either L1 is "dead" from a break or disconnected wire. (This would be a first for me. Dont over think it. Test) And AC interrupter is detecting a lack of voltage on the leg and not "connecting" (What do you mean "Not Connecting. The K1's function is not to detect anything. Its to ope and close. Letting voltage got to the output lug, or turning it off.)

I will be testing the AC interruptor switch (Why? will the K1 close? Or not?) to make sure that is good. Testing AC reconnection switch, Interuptor relay (K1? and how?), and a visual check of everything in that area.

Just looking for any other ideas or things to check.

I believe I can check the resistance on each winding (T1-T4, T7-T10, T3-T6, T9-T12, T2-T5, T8-T11) at the reconnection switch, (S8) or another easy way with minimal disassembly? (You can, but there are a lot of other things I would check first. Easy stuff. And you can test for all three phases at the S8.)

Anything else? the manual has so much info but sometimes finding the right section isn't always the easiest to diagnose right.

Give us some answers, and then we can tell you what and where to look.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks