• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A voltage regulator keeps breaking.

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have broken two voltage regulators so far.

Talking with Kurt (a great guy, he has been a great help with the 2wire start and the voltage regulator), he had me meter the wire from 5&6 on the voltage regulator.

I get 14.4 ohms between 5&6.
PXL_20230718_222426634.jpg

Between 5 & ground, I end up with 4.38m ohms
PXL_20230718_222549725.jpg

Between 6 & ground, I end up with 63.1k ohms
PXL_20230718_222616876.jpg

Last month I picked a new to me MEP-802A to possibly do a stator swap with my low hour mep-802A.

Between 5&6 on the new one I have 12.4 ohms.

Between 5 & ground, I have 8.43M ohms.
Between 6 & ground, I have 8.61M ohms.
I was expecting this to be an open circuit. We thought that the ground issue is why my voltage regulator is having issues.

I have also removed the control section to test the wire pairs per RM 9-6115-631-24 (I think this is the older TM).
Between T1 & T4 I had 10.6 ohms.
Between T2 & T5 or T3 & T6 I can't get a good reading it keeps on moving. Could this be because I haven't removed the stator from the genset and the rotor is affecting the reading?

PXL_20230718_225031717.jpg

What else should I do before I just pull the stator from the old one and put it in the newer one? I don't know that I am going down the correct path.

Thanks in advance.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When doing the resistance reading across 5 & GND and then 6 & GND both leads must be removed from the VR. Once removed then measure from lead 5 & GND and then lead 6 & GND.

When testing the stator output pairs all the leads should be removed from TB3 first.

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had removed 5&6 from the VR before taking the readings. I think that you can see that from the pictures if you zoom in.

As for the stator readings, my clips didn't like the bigger ends on the connections; thus, I removed the back side of each pair from TB3 and then used the ohm meter on the screws from the TB3 connector.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stator resistances are really low. 0.3731 ohms to 0.5047 ohms per winding.
Any sort of poor contact due to corrosion, oxidation is going to cause your meter to display flakey readings. You need to make sure you have clean, solid connections from your meters probes to the stator leads.
Most handheld meter do a poor job of reading really low resistances like the stator. Typically touching the meters probes directly together can yield a fraction of an ohm reading.

Also to do the winding to winding resistance check and winding to ground checks you'll need to disconnect all the stator leads so they are completely isolated from the rest of the generator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks