• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 803 or 804 Generator Question

Djfjr

Currently I am looking for a standby generator for my home. I know the difference between an 803 and 804 is a 10 K vs 15 K. But I’ve heard there are some different versions of the 15 K such as an 804A or an 804B. Is there a difference in reliability between 803 and 804? And also I’ve heard some people say stay away from the 804B. Is there any concerns or reliability issues to worry about if I was looking at an 804A compared to an 804B. Does anybody have any opinion or feedback ? Thank you

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue between the 803 vs 804 is the 804 can NOT output 120/240 single phase which is what most homes need. The 803 can do 120/240 and is a good fit for a home back up.
Do analyze your load needs to see if an 803 is overkill. Need to worry about wet stacking due to too light a load.
BTW 804A vs 804B is they used different engines in the A vs B.

Guyfang

Staff member
As Kurt wrote, first step is to KNOW what you need. Most houses can run on a MEP-802A. If you need more then that, the MEP-803A should do. The MEP-804A or B is normally over kill. But you need to KNOW what your house pulls for a load.

The MEP-804, A or B model is a lot more tech. Harder to maintain, and harder to find parts. If you are not up to doing your own maintenance, you need to find someone who is. Normal maintenance, (Preventive Maintenance) is simple. Filters and the like. Repair is another ball of wax. Tools and getting smart in the TM's is needed BEFORE the lights go out.

There are many threads that cover this type thing. Spend a little time reading them. Lots of your answers will there.

Scoobyshep

Good Morning , i have a 803A and seems diesel is getting into the oil. Does any of you know who in my area works on these things.........thanks........Mark........Molalla oregon
You really should create a new thread for it, but anyway it's probably a seal between the injection pump and engine. If you dont have the skills for it any diesel shop should be able to do it

Ray70

Best to start a new thread so we can address your fuel problem. For now, NOTE: The 803A doesn't have an injection pump, it has 4 metering pumps, 1 per cyl.
The only gasket between the metering pumps and the engine is only there to serve as a timing shim and to keep oil inside the motor, it does not come into contact with fuel at all. You make have a damaged metering pump leaking into the crankcase or possible an injector stuck open leaking excess fuel into a cylinder and getting past the rings.
Other than that there aren't any other places a fuel leak can get into the oil.
Is the machine running and taking a full load as it should?

elkslayer316

Best to start a new thread so we can address your fuel problem. For now, NOTE: The 803A doesn't have an injection pump, it has 4 metering pumps, 1 per cyl.
The only gasket between the metering pumps and the engine is only there to serve as a timing shim and to keep oil inside the motor, it does not come into contact with fuel at all. You make have a damaged metering pump leaking into the crankcase or possible an injector stuck open leaking excess fuel into a cylinder and getting past the rings.
Other than that there aren't any other places a fuel leak can get into the oil.
Is the machine running and taking a full load as it should?
thank you , i am no mechanic. it will run in battle mode only as the oil light is on and i put a manual oil pressure guage on it..........
i am afraid to put a full load on it.

Ray70

I'd really suggest you start a new thread as it now sounds like you have an oil pressure problem as well? Possibly due to fuel in the oil? Possibly not??
I would not continue running it in battle short mode if you have a known oil pressure problem!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks