• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803A EMP proof ?

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any EMP / Radiation Hardened Equipment / Part is

Demil B

BUSML Items - Multilation (MUT) to the point of scrap required worldwide.

meaning it’s going through the shredder and comes out as minute particles app less then 1/16” in size

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just purchased a 803A and wondering if it was EMP RESISTANT
Yes. Disclaimer, I didn't read this whole document, but it reads like a requirements outline for the TQGs and lists resistant to High Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse (HAEMP)

Being familiar with EMI testing, I can see how the construction of the 802 and 803 make them hardened to EMP. The majority of the components are simple and inherently unaffected by EMP, like the starter, the engine sensors, etc. The electronics are mostly solid state with few ICs and all enclosed in individual metallic housings. All the components are then housed in a metallic enclosure with small openings for cooling, minimizing transmission of electromagnetic waves that would impart voltage on the internal wires.

The only susceptibility I could see is having the unit hooked up to external power wiring, which would act like an antenna to potential expose the internals to high induced voltages. But if your unit is stored and not hooked up at the time of an event, it should be fine.

Last edited:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was 2169 then YOU wouldn’t be looking at it, touching it, starting it

Ultra Mag

Yes. Disclaimer, I didn't read this whole document, but it reads like a requirements outline for the TQGs and lists resistant to High Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse (HAEMP)

Being familiar with EMI testing, I can see how the construction of the 802 and 803 make them hardened to EMP. The majority of the components are simple and inherently unaffected by EMP, like the starter, the engine sensors, etc. The electronics are mostly solid state with few ICs and all enclosed in individual metallic housings. All the components are then housed in a metallic enclosure with small openings for cooling, minimizing transmission of electromagnetic waves that would impart voltage on the internal wires.

The only susceptibility I could see is having the unit hooked up to external power wiring, which would act like an antenna to potential expose the internals to high induced voltages. But if your unit is stored and not hooked up at the time of an event, it should be fine.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They did a “basic” HeEMP by “protection through enclosure” (shielding) and requested the manufacturer who installed the enclosure panels to sign an Operational Requirement Document ORD for each Genset manufactured.
When you test the enclosure panels with a magnet 🧲 then the panel(s) should turn out to be non magnetic.
They are a special alloy made of copper, aluminum and two or three other non ferrous and non magnetic metals.

None of the electronics on any of the 8xx units are radiation hardened and confirm to the newly implemented requirement, to be made of parts, which, if it all possible, are commercially off the shelf CotS

IMG_7773.jpeg

it was a major improvement over the 0 hundred series, but it pales in comparison of what 2169 requires….

Last edited:

Ultra Mag

They did a “basic” HeEMP by “protection through enclosure” (shielding) and requested the manufacturer who installed the enclosure panels to sign an Operational Requirement Document ORD for each Genset manufactured.
When you test the enclosure panels with a magnet 🧲 then the panel(s) should turn out to be non magnetic.
They are a special alloy made of copper, aluminum and two or three other non ferrous and non magnetic metals.

None of the electronics on any of the 8xx units are radiation hardened and confirm to the newly implemented requirement, to be made of parts, which, if it all possible, are commercially off the shelf CotS

View attachment 902469

it was a major improvement over the 0 hundred series, but it pales in comparison of what 2169 requires….
😳😳 nice information thank you!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks