MEP-803A Repair Assistance

Lucky Bud

Have a low hour 10 k MEP-803A generator.
located south of Dallas. In need of someone who can work on mine.
it runs and puts out, but won’t run at a steady Rpm.
thanks

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What have you done to diagnose the issue, anything? Does it only display this under load, or just while running unloaded?

Ray70

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chance of posting a video of the speed fluctuation? First thought is a governor adjustment issue. ( incorrect droop adjustment )

Lucky Bud

Have a low hour 10 k MEP-803A generator.
located south of Dallas. In need of someone who can work on mine.
it runs and puts out, but won’t run at a steady Rpm.
thanks
No load
have a couple of these and they run smooth with or without load.
would like to take it to a Gen guy with the knowlage and tools.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Ray mentioned it need a simply droop adjustment to the governor. Just requires a 5mm hex key at least 5 inches long.
The RPM hunting can be caused by that adjustment being incorrect.

The -24 TM explains how to adjust it. Basically remove a pipe plug to access the adjustment, use the 5mm hex to change the setting of the adjustment screw.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah if its the droop setting, you can have that thing dialed in in 5 minutes with just an Allen key.

Lucky Bud

Mark everything before trying to adjust. If the "adjustment" is not helping, put it back where it was. Also know that the fuel shutoff and its connections, if they are loose, or mal adjusted, will give you that fault.
Thanks for that.
will get back to you with results.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whens the last time you did a filter change on this machine? Does it have the inline strainer just south of the inlet on the primary pump? I was once chasing what I thought was a droop concern... turns out that stupid little filter was the cause!

Lucky Bud

Mark everything before trying to adjust. If the "adjustment" is not helping, put it back where it was. Also know that the fuel shutoff and its connections, if they are loose, or mal adjusted, will give you that fault.
What have you done to diagnose the issue, anything? Does it only display this under load, or just while running unloaded?
Whens the last time you did a filter change on this machine? Does it have the inline strainer just south of the inlet on the primary pump? I was once chasing what I thought was a droop concern... turns out that stupid little filter was the cause!
Update on the Mep 803 a.
hours on the machine are 209 total. Changed filters and checked fuel cap.
it was rusted and turned off.
repaired rotten return line. Engine will now run normal for six minuets.
had electrician check output. Appears normal.
never put it under a load.
As soon as the thermostat starts to open the drooping begins.
1 1/2 min later it hunts out of control and it gets shut down.
better than it was.
Bud

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks