• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A wiring, internal and external

2Pbfeet

In the FWIW category...

For backup here, I need both single phase 120/240, and 240 three phase (Delta). My most likely use cases for the MEP-803A are going to be cold, wet, and windy.

With wet and windy in mind, I went with IEC type pin and sleeve connections 60309 type connectors that are both more water resistant and have a slightly higher amperage rating than the typical home connectors. On the generator, I put a receptacle over the output cable area, a 560P9W (where 5=5 wire, 60=60A P is for plug, or R receptacle or C connector, 9 is the o'clock location of the ground pin that sets the voltage standard, and W for Water resistant).

ebay turned out to have lots of new, or basically new parts, at more reasonable prices than buying new from my usual electrical parts stores where the IEC connectors can run $3-500/ea.

To mount the receptacle, I unscrewed the output cable box, and then inserted a tall, narrow aluminum plate between the generator housing and the output cable box to give me a plate to screw my outlet to. The output cable enclosure screws hold the plate in place. I could not figure out how to remove easily the output cable enclosure from the generator completely to put rivet nuts on without a lot of disassembly, so I stuck with stainless toothed nuts. A nut driver with a longish handle made the installation of all of the nuts easier.

IMG_5307.jpeg
The outlet protrudes about 3-4".
I used L1/X/black, L2/Z/Orange, and L3/Y/Red as the wiring convention.

The hook up wires are from a stripped back section of 6ga type W cable, with some hose wrap against possible vibration rubbing, and to help hold the wires in position. I was trying for an arrangement that kept current carrying conductors well separated, and from crossing each other or the terminal posts.
IMG_5306.jpeg
I don't currently have the cord strapped to anything, but I will put in something to restrain it if it vibrates. Yes, I know that I have the neutral bonded to ground; the generator is not backing up the house at the moment. The transfer switch at the house has a male 460B12W input connector. ("B" for backwards?) No suicide cords.

I will sort the phase sequence order for the three phase pump internal to the transfer switch for the pump.

Improvements? Errors? Comments?

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks