• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 803A

grywitt

You can't parallel the 80x sets like the 10x0 AMMPS, with this box or without.

I don't believe you will need to cage these like tractor Haldex cans. Its an air over hydraulic system, and if memory serves these free wheel with the air unhooked.
I did find one TM that at least showed the system even though it didn't really describe the function but I saw it was still hydraulic drum brakes then went on you tube and learned more. It makes sense in you have to bug out you don't want brakes locked up cause an air line is broke or something. Why wouldn't you be able to parallel these? If you have them synced they should share load. Is that it they fight for the load and don't share well? I do remember now on the oil rigs when we were syncing gens there was a load share circuit. I forgot about that.

grywitt

It's pretty funny I just assumed when I saw the sync box that it was for sharing load. I guess I'm going to have a pile of those 803s laying around now. Lol

grywitt

I won't lie I was hoping for the ability to generate 20kw total. Oops. I do have the ability to program my inverter to help the gen if the load goes over a certain amount so if the gen is running and the load goes to high it will help and when it's lower it can be charging the batteries is needed.. I can produce 17kw from my inverters for up to 30 minutes so on top of a 10k gen I'm not really needing the 20k.

Ray70

LITD is correct, that synchronizer allows you to set the phasing of 2 machines in sync ( or very close ) then shift the load on the fly. They are not set up to run 2 units in parallel. A few guys on the internet show that it can physically be done, but the 5K and 10K machines are not designed to use in parallel.
You can do it, but because they are using 2 separate regulators the 2 machines will always be fighting against each other slightly
When you parallel the bigger machines together the electronic controls are designed to work in unison, not work as 2 separate machines with their outputs connected together.

upstateguy

I won't lie I was hoping for the ability to generate 20kw total. Oops. I do have the ability to program my inverter to help the gen if the load goes over a certain amount so if the gen is running and the load goes to high it will help and when it's lower it can be charging the batteries is needed.. I can produce 17kw from my inverters for up to 30 minutes so on top of a 10k gen I'm not really needing the 20k.
Depending on your battery bank voltage and inverter, you could use a couple 5 kw chargeverters like signature solar sells on one of the 803’s and no need to sync it at all, just dump those kilowatts directly to your Battery bank as DC, best part is you can dial in how many amps you want each chargeverter to run at. You could set 2 of them for around 4Kw and load the generator at a nice comfortable 8Kw That is what I plan to do with my trailer mounted 803 I picked up last month. I have to say I am very impressed with the 803, and the support from this community! This is my first post here, but I have been reading for several months and have downloaded a boatload of technical documentation. My dad was so impressed with my 803, he purchased one himself. Looking through the technical documentation there was mention of an EMP standard, forget the exact document referenced, but when googling it says “need to know only”, that’s far better than any commercial or consumer grade generator. I have been resisting running it more until I get the MOV mod installed (thanks kloppk for coming up with the MOV mod and the other work you have done to enhance these military gensets). I think I have the bug though, I have been considering Cohen/CHP (Combined Heat and Power). I am thinking by connecting into the cooling system with a flat plate heat exchanger or tube in tube counter flow heat exchanger and a thermostatic mixing valve configured to maintain at least 170F on the generator side, then dump the heat into our hydronic heating system to take advantage of the waste heat while running. I have a background in electrical engineering technology but now work at a local community college as an HVAC technician, was tired of living on the road for industry. Has anyone used these for cogeneration?

grywitt

Depending on your battery bank voltage and inverter, you could use a couple 5 kw chargeverters like signature solar sells on one of the 803’s and no need to sync it at all, just dump those kilowatts directly to your Battery bank as DC, best part is you can dial in how many amps you want each chargeverter to run at. You could set 2 of them for around 4Kw and load the generator at a nice comfortable 8Kw That is what I plan to do with my trailer mounted 803 I picked up last month. I have to say I am very impressed with the 803, and the support from this community! This is my first post here, but I have been reading for several months and have downloaded a boatload of technical documentation. My dad was so impressed with my 803, he purchased one himself. Looking through the technical documentation there was mention of an EMP standard, forget the exact document referenced, but when googling it says “need to know only”, that’s far better than any commercial or consumer grade generator. I have been resisting running it more until I get the MOV mod installed (thanks kloppk for coming up with the MOV mod and the other work you have done to enhance these military gensets). I think I have the bug though, I have been considering Cohen/CHP (Combined Heat and Power). I am thinking by connecting into the cooling system with a flat plate heat exchanger or tube in tube counter flow heat exchanger and a thermostatic mixing valve configured to maintain at least 170F on the generator side, then dump the heat into our hydronic heating system to take advantage of the waste heat while running. I have a background in electrical engineering technology but now work at a local community college as an HVAC technician, was tired of living on the road for industry. Has anyone used these for cogeneration?
That's real similar to the way they use the exhaust off the jet engines and the power plant to run steam turbines.i always thought that was an awesome use of waist heat. The turbines I worked around made 25mw then the exhaust made another 10. I'm pretty new here too. Yeah this is an awesome group of people. I've been looking at those chargeverters myself. Thanks for the input. I'm definitely hooked myself lol. These gens are awesome. I already have more than I need and still going. Welcome to the community.

2Pbfeet

I know of a number of cogeneration units installed around New England, where oil fired heat is common. I don't know of any using these units, but it is, as you write, mainly a question of diverting the hot flow through a water to water heat exchanger. I would consider the potential impact of different heat transfer liquids on the exchanger, and the potential for leaks from one system into the other. Others have found that having a storage tank helps even out the thermal bursts, as most folks don't need 10kW of power steadily. Another item that I would consider is how to load up the MEP-803 with enough load, at least periodically, to keep it running well, e.g. charging a large battery bank, or powering a heat pump or resistance heat.

I would not overlook the potential for capturing some waste heat from the exhaust system, being mindful of wet stacking issues by cooling, or over cooling the exhaust.

If you are thinking of putting the generator inside the house, most folks have found that the sound and vibration can be very noticeable.

There is a lot of information out there.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Last edited:

upstateguy

That's real similar to the way they use the exhaust off the jet engines and the power plant to run steam turbines.i always thought that was an awesome use of waist heat. The turbines I worked around made 25mw then the exhaust made another 10. I'm pretty new here too. Yeah this is an awesome group of people. I've been looking at those chargeverters myself. Thanks for the input. I'm definitely hooked myself lol. These gens are awesome. I already have more than I need and still going. Welcome to the community.
25 megawatts is a bunch of juice! Was the 10 megawatts of heat in the form of steam or hot water? Was it used just for space conditioning or other processes?

grywitt

25 megawatts is a bunch of juice! Was the 10 megawatts of heat in the form of steam or hot water? Was it used just for space conditioning or other processes?
Sorry I wasn't clear. That was a steam turbine they ran from the exhaust. It was actually two diesel turbines each one could produce 25mw then if both were running we could produce about 20mw from our steam turbine. or if only one was running we would get the 10. more like 8 really but I'm rounding up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks