• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804A 15kw cranks, no start

snippy

It was running fine and started without issue. Today I went out there to run it after changing the voltage plate from 3 phase to single phase and it started and ran fine for about 15 seconds then sputtered and died. Cranked it again and it almost started then nothing. Now it spins over but won't start. Checked the filter pet-cock for water and it's clean. Definitely has diesel fuel in the tank, more than 3/4 full. While it's cranking it does smoke out the exhaust a little. Using starting fluid it fires right up then dies of course.
Wondering what I should check to try and get it figured out. Thanks
IMG_4662.jpeg

jamawieb

Check the governor control behind the gauges. Its on the back wall, usually blue in color. Check voltage on number 9 while cranking. It should say + Actuator. Ive had a couple of those governor controls go out and cause a no start.

snippy

Check the governor control behind the gauges. Its on the back wall, usually blue in color. Check voltage on number 9 while cranking. It should say + Actuator. Ive had a couple of those governor controls go out and cause a no start.
OK I'll check that as soon as I can over the next couple of days. Thanks for the information I'll let you know how it goes.

snippy

12.7 volts DC. I realize the system is a 24 V DC system but I get 12.7 V on #9

Attachments

snippy

Also I'll add this. When I checked for water in the filter not a whole lot of diesel fuel came out of that and I did unloosen that little flathead screw above to let it breathe.

Guyfang

Staff member
1. The two electrial connectors that go to the A6, (Electril actuator. If they touch one another, the A6 will not let the set run correctly.

2. Have you changed the fuel/Water seperator. Its the orginal milatary one, and if so, probaly needs a new one.

3. The Primary fuel filter. Have you changed it?

4. Shine a light into the fuel tank. Is it crappy on the bottom.

5. You wrote: Also I'll add this. When I checked for water in the filter not a whole lot of diesel fuel came out of that and I did unloosen that little flathead screw above to let it breathe.

A: Opening up the bleeder screw, if the engine is not running or turning over, just lets air in the system.
B: Did you use the Hand Pump, to pump up the Fuel system after letting fuel and air out?
C: Did you crack the injector line farthest away from the IP before starting the set? It helps bleed the air out better.

1711838908013.png

You do not have the Quad Mod on this gen set and I would advise you to get it ASAP.
1711838960474.png

snippy

1. The two electrial connectors that go to the A6, (Electril actuator. If they touch one another, the A6 will not let the set run correctly.

2. Have you changed the fuel/Water seperator. Its the orginal milatary one, and if so, probaly needs a new one.

3. The Primary fuel filter. Have you changed it?

4. Shine a light into the fuel tank. Is it crappy on the bottom.

5. You wrote: Also I'll add this. When I checked for water in the filter not a whole lot of diesel fuel came out of that and I did unloosen that little flathead screw above to let it breathe.

A: Opening up the bleeder screw, if the engine is not running or turning over, just lets air in the system.
B: Did you use the Hand Pump, to pump up the Fuel system after letting fuel and air out?
C: Did you crack the injector line farthest away from the IP before starting the set? It helps bleed the air out better.

View attachment 920201

You do not have the Quad Mod on this gen set and I would advise you to get it ASAP.
View attachment 920202
I just ordered both filters so as soon as I get them I'll do those things you suggested and let you know how it goes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks