• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804A will not "excite" or "flash" whichever description preferred

phisherman

MEP-804A will not "excite" or "flash" whichever description preferred

Afternoon all

Hoping the gen guru's can assist me with this issue, so here goes. Working on a 804a gen, motor runs like a dream.
Issue is this: Hertz is 60 and adjustable using the freq adjustment on the A5 card. Gauge reads inaccurately though. On average about 10 hertz lower than actual output. Example. gauge will show 60 but using a DVOM, 70 hertz at wiring of gauge and also at the convenience receptacle. I did swap out the gauge because of the reading not being correct, same result. Now as far as voltage reading goes, 44 volts at the receptacle which in turn the under voltage light is on.
If you try and "excite" the system the hertz gauge and volt gauge will show the attempt weather the am/vm switch is in a 110v setting or a 220v setting but as soon as you let go of the switch, the system will not stay excited so therefore the system will not show produced voltage. I have double checked the wiring to verify that not only the start switch is wired right and all the bridges and in place, but also the governor control unit and also the voltage regulator is wired correctly. I also have battery voltage at terminal 1 of the voltage regulator when you put the start switch in the start position to attempt to excite the stator. I have even attempted to hold the switch for about 3 seconds just to see if that would work. It didn't.
If anyone has an idea, I would appreciate it. The one that that sticks out when I think about this situation, the convenience receptacle is only showing 44 volts.

Respectfully
Eddie

Guyfang

Staff member
Let me see if i have this right. If you have the set running, and excite it with the S-1 start switch, as long as you hold it up, the set reads proper voltage. And you can hold the S-1 start switch up as long as you want, without the starter grinding. Right?

phisherman

Yes, this is correct. Once a rpm range of 900 rpm is reached, which is sensed by the crank shaft senor/magnetic pickup, the start circuit is eliminated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks