• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804A won't stay running

blhar15

I have a nice condition MEP-804A 15KW generator that I am having issues with. First off we have to jump it every time, so I know it needs batteries. However, when we hook up the jumper cable it starts fine, but when you release the starter switch it stops running. Any ideas?

Thanks

jamawieb

Oil pressure switch, are you getting any fault indicators? I mean, we can all guess at different things. Is the fuel cut solenoid being activated when it shuts down or does it sound like it's starving for fuel?

Guyfang

Staff member
You may not need batteries. First off, what kind of batteries are they?

Try this. Start the set, hold the S-1, (start switch) up and don't let go yet. Turn the S-7 Battle short switch on and then let S-1 go. What happens? Continue to run? or not?

Guyfang

Staff member
In all probability, you just didnt hold S-1 up long enough for the oil pressure to build up and close the contacts in the LOP, (Low Oil Pressure) switch. Glad that's all it was! What engine you have in it?

Newgen

Hi I’m new to this site and was wondering what if after I turn the s7 on it still won’t stay running? What should I look at next?

Guyfang

Staff member
Like Zed told you, get the TM's downloaded.

Now, we need info.
Is this set new to you?
Have you ever seen it run right?
When you have in in emergency by pass, (S7 up, S1 down) are any idiot lights on?
Have you read the trouble shooting guide for the problem?

We need to know where to start. Your answers make it easyer to do it.

sportman

Hello folks I'm new at this forum need to see if I can get some technical assistance. Last May of 2019 I purchased an MEP804-a through Iron Planet picked it up in PA. I changed the oil filter put fresh oil, fuel filter, water separator filter and cleaned the fuel tank that had some slime at the bottom of the tank. The unit when turning the S1 switch to preheat you would get no response if turn it to start run it would run but release it quit I did see the oil pressure gauge work but no power to the panel lights. I read that the blue S1 switch are a problem. I ordered the S1 from Electroswitch #75902LV now I have power to the panel but one question I have to what #'s to connect the jumper wire in witch direction is the current is to flow. I had connected it the wires to the same location than the blue switch but still when the star switch release it quit running. Now the overspeed idiot light would come on when you hold the start and run. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
Hello folks I'm new at this forum need to see if I can get some technical assistance. Last May of 2019 I purchased an MEP804-a through Iron Planet picked it up in PA. I changed the oil filter put fresh oil, fuel filter, water separator filter and cleaned the fuel tank that had some slime at the bottom of the tank. The unit when turning the S1 switch to preheat you would get no response if turn it to start run it would run but release it quit I did see the oil pressure gauge work but no power to the panel lights. I read that the blue S1 switch are a problem. I ordered the S1 from Electroswitch #75902LV now I have power to the panel but one question I have to what #'s to connect the jumper wire in witch direction is the current is to flow. I had connected it the wires to the same location than the blue switch but still when the star switch release it quit running. Now the overspeed idiot light would come on when you hold the start and run. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks
Partner, Please start your own thread. When you start in here, its hard for people to keep whats, what, straight. You will get much more help with your own thread. If you need help starting a thread, then let us know and someone will walk you through it.

sportman

Partner, Please start your own thread. When you start in here, its hard for people to keep whats, what, straight. You will get much more help with your own thread. If you need help starting a thread, then let us know and someone will walk you through it.
Thank you Guyfang

sportman

Like Zed told you, get the TM's downloaded.

Now, we need info.
Is this set new to you?
Have you ever seen it run right?
When you have in in emergency by pass, (S7 up, S1 down) are any idiot lights on?
Have you read the trouble shooting guide for the problem?

We need to know where to start. Your answers make it easyer to do it.
Thanks for replying Guyfang; I will check this weekend for the idiot lights. The unit is new to me since day one when I crank it up before changing the S-1 switch had no power to the panel and yes hold the switch to start and starts up nicely release and it quit. That's why I replaces S-1 switch, now I have power to the panel and glow plugs. I haven't down loaded the TM just looked at the diagram on the generator door panel. I will down load the TM and see where it will lead to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks