• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 805A Gen. NO Voltage

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok thanks! I haven’t googled it yet but is that something I can order online or where is the best place to order parts from?
I also notice my batteries are being drained down would this at all have anything to do with the R14 ?
Thank you very much for your time and support and will support page if there is such a thing as donations!

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
R14 would have nothing to do with your batteries being drained. R14 is just a current limiting resistor in the field flashing circuit.
I can look tomorrow for a replacement source.

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not trying to beat a dead horse and keep asking same questions but do you know of anyone in North West Florida that is a mechanic like yourself just in case I need some help in future

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bit of an oddity...
In your picture R14 is marked as a 50 ohm resistor. Multiple versions of the TM that I've checked indicate it's a 40 ohm resistor. Seems either would work fine in this application.
To get a replacement 50 ohm version that fits right in is available here ---> 50 Resistor

Guyfang

Staff member
Are my eyes old? Some of the solder work there looks fishy also. To be sure, unsolder R14, the ohm it out. As long as you are in there, check out that butt connector also. I hate those things. Not to be trusted.

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok thank you very much for all your help. Not sure how to make it worth your time but just thank you seems cheap! Yes I’m becoming aware that I probably got lied to or previous owner has dementia because there are becoming a lot of little things that look like somone been tinkering and didn’t ask for any advice on how to do it. At any rate thanks again and if you think of a shop or person down here in North West Florida that works on this kinda stuff shoot me his info.

Rusty Kaufmann

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have finally got back to my project that I laid down to chase other things and got my parts ordered and now that the hurricane season is in full swing went back to put the resistor on that I bought from the web site and realized that R14 has 3 of them stacked on top of each other 2 of them being a 7.5 and the top a 50 is this abnormal I sent a picture

Capt.Moondog, post: 2521698,

Attachments

ErichLessing

Based on those readings it would appear that R14 is defective.

Do a couple of other tests before we condemn R14.

With the set OFF and Dead Crank in OFF do the following.
1) Remove the wires from the AC Voltage Regulator terminals 1 & 3. Label if needed so they don't get mixed up.
2) Measure the resistance between those two wires. It ought to be about 25 to 35 ohms. What do you measure?

Make sure those two wires aren't touching anything.
3) Put the Dead Crank switch back to NORMAL
4) Start the set
Repeat the tests done previously and post the results.
Those tests were...
Hook you meters negative lead to the ground stud above the relays on the back wall.
With the set running check for the following voltages and reply what you measure for each test.
5) Measure the DC voltage at R14 terminal 1 with S1 held in the START position. You should read about 24 volts DC.
(R14 is located on the back wall of the control cube on the far left)
6) Measure the DC voltage at R14 terminal 2 with S1 held in the START position. You should read between ~5 and ~11 volts DC.
7) Measure the DC voltage at CR2 terminal 1 with S1 held in the START position. You should read between ~5 and ~11 volts DC.
(CR2 is located on the back wall of the control cube on the far le(.)
8.) Measure the DC voltage at CR2 terminal 2 with S1 held in the START position. You should read between ~5 and ~10 volts DC

Shut the set down and reconnect those two wires to the appropriate VR terminals.
I have the same problem with my 805A. When I ohmed between the # 1 & 3 terminals of A1 I got a fluctuating reading between 1.7 and 2.1 on my meter. What does mean?
Thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
Why dont you start your own thread. This one is two pages long, filled with info on someone else's info. You might need more help then one post.

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would definitely follow what GuyFang has to offer. He is the one the walked me through everything down to the T.. I still don’t have my unit running right yet I got all the crazy problems fixed and now back to square one I think with what was probably the original issue that has something to do with the governor. My Hertz wants to fluctuate from 60 back to 50 when the machine idles back down or something.
That all being said I bought this unit that was supposed to be running fine and it’s been a wild ride so not sure with what all your dealing with, but if you overspeed your generator and now have that issue it’s probably the same problem as mine 🤷‍♂️ I did see GuyFang have a complete governor exchange parts list from the not so good system to the better so I’m wanting to research that out and maybe change mine out to it!
Unless you want to buy mine for a backup 😅

ErichLessing

I would definitely follow what GuyFang has to offer. He is the one the walked me through everything down to the T.. I still don’t have my unit running right yet I got all the crazy problems fixed and now back to square one I think with what was probably the original issue that has something to do with the governor. My Hertz wants to fluctuate from 60 back to 50 when the machine idles back down or something.
That all being said I bought this unit that was supposed to be running fine and it’s been a wild ride so not sure with what all your dealing with, but if you overspeed your generator and now have that issue it’s probably the same problem as mine 🤷‍♂️ I did see GuyFang have a complete governor exchange parts list from the not so good system to the better so I’m wanting to research that out and maybe change mine out to it!
Unless you want to buy mine for a backup 😅
Thanks for the info. I found the wires melted off of the CR-1 Diode/resistor terminals so I think someone hooked up the batteries backwards. Now I am trying to find part numbers and a source to buy new resistors and diodes. Can you help with that? Thanks

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The diode is
Thanks for the info. I found the wires melted off of the CR-1 Diode/resistor terminals so I think someone hooked up the batteries backwards. Now I am trying to find part numbers and a source to buy new resistors and diodes. Can you help with that? Thanks
I have bought some off eBay just used the numbers off the old parts I think I bought some diodes and resistors. If not there try the website digikey.com I ordered some back up from them also. There is a store called Green Mountain parts, and also another WB parts.
If you find a great place to buy parts let me know
Hope not to discourage you but it sounds like you may have some grimlems in it. I would fix one thing and have to go to next I chased stuff from one end to the other. It looked as if somone was having problems with the governor system and just created havoc in trying to fix parts but not the issue. My next step is the governor unless I can prove why it keeps switching back to 50 hertz for some other reason. Best of luck and let me know how it turns out.

Rusty