• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 805B discharging the batteries

SteveTheGreen

My generator isn't charging the battery as it runs. I checked the alternator and swapped it out with a known good one.
So I've been swapping batteries daily.
What else can I check?
One thing I've noticed is that one battery will be 5% and the other at 97%. Weird.
On the gen display, if I click on more info, the battery voltage drops from 27 to 19 over time. The gen will evemtually buck and shut down if the batteries are not replaced.... Usually at 4am when its blowing snow...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are both batteries the same age and size? Have you searched around for 24V when your set's dead crank is set to OFF? I am not familiar with this larger set, but can you use zip ties to lock the fuel stop solenoid 'open' no matter the battery issue, to just keep the set online?

Ray70

I would double check your charging system. If the machine will not stay running on its own you must not be getting enough amperage out of the charging system to keep the fuel pumps, solenoid, etc. running.
Also sounds like possibly 1 bad battery, but I think you also have a charging issue.
Maybe a stupid question, but have you checked the charging circuit fuse? I assume an 805B has a fuse as do all the other models.
Also, does an 805b have an ammeter to show charge / discharge on the display, if so what is it showing?

SteveTheGreen

Are both batteries the same age and size? Have you searched around for 24V when your set's dead crank is set to OFF? I am not familiar with this larger set, but can you use zip ties to lock the fuel stop solenoid 'open' no matter the battery issue, to just keep the set online?
Batteries are identical
Searched around for..? Don't understand.

Guyfang

Staff member
If it is an unmodified set, there is a inline, fuse between the Positive Battery terminal and the battery charging alternator. The inline fuse will be a YELLOW looking rubber capsule.

If it is a modified set, there is a 50 AMP push button Circuit Breaker in the left side, front door. Can not miss it.

SteveTheGreen

I would double check your charging system. If the machine will not stay running on its own you must not be getting enough amperage out of the charging system to keep the fuel pumps, solenoid, etc. running. Agree

Also sounds like possibly 1 bad battery, but I think you also have a charging issue. I ruled this out using two sets of batteries.

Maybe a stupid question, but have you checked the charging circuit fuse? I assume an 805B has a fuse as do all the other models.
Checking this

Also, does an 805b have an ammeter to show charge / discharge on the display, if so what is it showing?
Ill post a pick. Shows -1
Battery voltage drops from 27 to 19 over a day and will shut down if the batteries are not swapped out.

Guyfang

Staff member
Ray,

Bad blocking diode in the battery charging alternator?

Edit: No. Not Blocking diode. After looking at the picture. See note I wrote in reply to picture.

Ray70

That looks like a circuit breaker, not a fuse. Is it tripped by chance? If not I would test the alternator. I have about Zero experience with the 805B specifically, but it appears to utilize a 1 wire alternator with internal regulator.
That means you should see battery voltage at the + post on the alternator.
When running you should see about 27-29v at the post. If you have battery voltage with the engine off and it does not increase to over 27V with the engine running your alternator is bad. If no voltage at alternator with motor off then you have a wiring problem somewhere upstream of the alternator.
I'd say to also check what the TM and wiring schematic show with regards to the charging circuit and how to test.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks