• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-806a voltage fluctuating

Hi guys,
This is my first post, so go easy on me...please.

I've got a MEP-806a here in Papua New Guinea. Great machine, and we use it daily as backup power for a church/school campus. We have done the manual change on the plate so that it will provide 220volts to match our local power. Great option! (She's a gas-guzzler, but otherwise a good machine.)

Here's my problem: I keep replacing the voltage regulator almost annually the last 3 years. Really perplexing.

It is giving me signs of the voltage regulator about to go bad again, and I'm seeing the signs and have just ordered a new one off eBay.

I've taken a video but not sure how to attach it.
The voltage just creeps up on its own over time...so after the generator runs about 50 hours, it has crept up from 220v to 250v. (Not quite linear progression, but all of the sudden I find we are up to 250v.) I thought someone was messing with it, so I put a mark on the potentiometer--nope the potentiometer is not moving, but voltage output is moving very slowly upward.

When I touch the potentiometer to bring the voltage back down to appropriate levels, the voltage jumps around, spiking up to 270v and dropping to about 200v before settling down again.

Anybody have any idea what might be going on?

Secondary question--I have a stack of old voltage regulators now. Instead of purchasing new ones ($700) every year, is there someone who knows how to bench test and solder what might be bad? Then I pay $100 for repairs and have a stack of standby regulators instead of messing with new ones every year.

Thanks in advance. Remember...be nice.

Scoobyshep

You could have a pot going wonky. They get corrosion. What ive done in the past (with the set off) crank the pot back and fourth several times. The wiper will clean the crud off the resistor. If you can get it deoxit is an amazing thing to have.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Has the Quad Fuse MWO been done on your set? Below is the MWO. Its not going to fix your problem, BUT, BUT, it will protect your Quad winding's if your VR goes bad in the over volt way.

This could be an R1, Volt adjust problem??

Peter might fix your VR's. Lets see what he has to say.

@peapvp

Attachments

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has the Quad Fuse MWO been done on your set? Below is the MWO. Its not going to fix your problem, BUT, BUT, it will protect your Quad winding's if your VR goes bad in the over volt way.

This could be an R1, Volt adjust problem??

Peter might fix your VR's. Lets see what he has to say.

@peapvp
Are those AVR’s you bought for ~ $700 on eBay NOS units?

And when you say:
“We have done the manual change on the plate so that it will provide 220volts to match our local power. “

What does this actually mean? Converted it to single phase 220V?
What FQ are you operating on? 50 Hz or 60 HZ?

Peter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks