• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002/003 Aux. Fuel Pump Operation

NJ_Toolnut

Hi all,

I've been looking at the fuel system and electrical schematics in the TM-12. I'm not sure I understand exactly what happens when float switch S3 closes. It appears that current then flows to aux. fuel solenoid valve K4 as well as to the aux. fuel pump E1, where it opens K4 and starts E1.

Does K4 always remain closed to prevent aux. fuel flow unless it receives current from S3? I'm wondering because in a situation where the aux. fuel tank is higher than the generator, it seems as though fuel could flow into the day tank via gravity, potentially overflowing it unless K4 prevents this. The answer to this question is important to me since I'm planning to eventually use an aux. fuel tank where the fuel in this tank will be higher than the day tank.

Best regards,

Stan

storeman

Hey Stan,
Got 4 of 5 of the winnings started today! 2 are flawless but ugly and load tested over 100%. 2 have minor issues and haven't load tested them yet. One is in an ASK (first one I've had in that configuration) and half of the ASK fasteners are spinning freely but won't come out. Don't know how I get at the fuel filters without tearing the ASK up. Interesting afternoon.
Jerry :grd:

steelandcanvas

Hey Stan,
Got 4 of 5 of the winnings started today! 2 are flawless but ugly and load tested over 100%. 2 have minor issues and haven't load tested them yet. One is in an ASK (first one I've had in that configuration) and half of the ASK fasteners are spinning freely but won't come out. Don't know how I get at the fuel filters without tearing the ASK up. Interesting afternoon.
Jerry :grd:
Jerry, You've become quite the generator Guru lately! :beer:

storeman

Jonathan,
I'm trying. Need to sell the 4 I've load tested and create some space. I'll list them when I get a chance.
Jerry :beer::beer:

Last edited:

NJ_Toolnut

Harley,

Thanks! I got my 003 running last weekend, but due to the change in engine blocks it needs a #12 instead of a #14 timing button in the IP in order to be timed correctly. It runs OK but is slow to recover from a sudden heavy load. Yesterday, I received the #12 button I ordered from AMBAC, along with a package of "Jesus" clips. I plan to re-time my genset this weekend, confirm correct timing and then do some governor tweaking.

Jerry,

Govliquidation is always a crap shoot. It sounds like you really lucked out this time! :beer:

Regarding ASK fasteners, I have not yet seen an ASK-equipped genset in person so I don't know exactly what type of fasteners you are dealing with. Sometimes reluctant fasteners that turn freely but do not loosen can be encouraged to loosen by pulling on them with an appropriate pair of pliers while turning them counterclockwise. This is especially true of the fasteners with the pins like the type used to hold the hinged faceplate of the control cubicle closed. By pulling on them, you can feel when the ends of the pins engage in the slot they need to index with and travel through in order to become disengaged.

If you are dealing with ordinary fasteners (from the TM-34, they appear to be nuts and bolts), sometimes the nut will turn along with the bolt and prevent any further loosening. If the nut is not accessible from behind, then pulling on the bolt with a pair of pliers will sometimes (if you are lucky and the threads are clean and undamaged) add enough friction to prevent the nut from turning, especially if there is a lockwasher or starwasher between the nut and the rear surface being fastened. If pulling on the bolt while turning it does not work and you do not have access from the rear, you can always either drill them out or cut the heads of the bolts off with a Dremel tool or angle grinder from the front (provided you have sufficient access) and source replacement bolts later. I would think this effort would be well worthwhile to avoid tearing up the ASK since they appear to be quite rare and valuable.

Stan

storeman

Stan,
I printed the portion of the TM dealing with the ASK and got it off today. Nothing like reading instructions! So many hidden fasteners! No fuel through the injection pump, so will tackle that tomorrow.
Jerry:beer::beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks