• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 5 KW Gen. Battery Question

convict1

The MEP002 5 KW Generator I have uses 2 batteries like pictured/in the link below, the Gen Set I bought didnt come with batteries. Does anyone know the battery designation number ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.....

Example:
The batteries for a M35A2 Duece designation are 6 UTL or 6 TL and your local Interstate Battery Distribuitor, not the dealer, the Distribuitor has these batteries available for $ 139.00 each + core. That's what I paid for them, cheaper than anyone else advertised them for here or in Texas.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/convict1/MEP002/BATT.jpg

O.D. Fever

Any 12v batts that fit will work. Just make sure you hook them up 24v and the right polarity or you will damage the unit. Just follow one side to ground and hook that to neg.

jbk

2 HN is the group for the 002 i think. i got mine at napa, 5051rn (bci 51r) 58.00 each 590 cca . they will fit the batt. frames.

Last edited:

ichudov

My opinion only, but for a small generator like this, any two batteries will work. Maybe get a little longer battery cables, welding cables work especially good for this.

762luver

If you look at what rosco did it's not a bad idea. I'm in the process of doing the same thing on my MEP-002a. Use 2 matching 12v batteries like others have suggested, BUT make them the same type you run in your tow/bug out vehicle. This way you build redundancy into your kit. If you have to pay a few bucks to get the battry tray modified, it'll be worth it if you ever need them!!!

rlwm211

I cannot conceive of a reason to have 6TLs on the generator. The 6TLs (Typical Military Starting battery) are 825 CCA and are overkill for the generator set. Depending on the tow rig, 650 CCA ought to be plenty and still have the ability to start your tow rig. You can always use the two batteries in parallel if you need more amperage on your 12 volt vehicle. If you have a 24 volt rig, you will be amazed at how much 500 CCA at 24 volts can do.

RL