• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002a insulation WORKS!!

tanhmmwv

after using my MEP002a for 12 hours during hurrincane Irene, I decided to try an insulation project. I did no think it would work this well and am VERY happy with the results!!

the genset is mounted inside my M101A2 trailer. This trailer was originally a radio trailer with 2 smaller 3kw generators mounted inside with a gas tank mounted underneath. (gas tank is no longer there)

here is what I used:
- 2 sheets 4x6 foot 3/4 inch rubber stahl mats on the floor -local farm supply store.
- 2 sheets 4x8 foot 1- 3/8 inch rigid foam- aluminum foil both sides- home depot
- 1 sheet 4x8 foot 3/8 inch plywood - home depot
- 1 roll 18inch x 50 foot grace ice and water - home depot.

cost = just under $200

the stahl mats were cut to fit and placed on the floor of the trailer.
then, the generator was lowered onto the stahl mats and bolted down.

I installed the ice/water on the plywood (full coverage on 1 side) and slid it between the canvas and bows with ice/waterside facing down toward the generator. (plywood to keep snow and rain from collecting and ice water to deaden sound from the generator. Then, I cut the rigid foam to fit around the wheel wells and installed to the Left and Right sides of the trailer. I kept the sections I cut out and glued them to the wheel wells. I did not yet secure them to the racks yet.

what a difference!! this trailer is 16feet away from the house with the passenger side of the trailer facing the house and is now noticeably quieter that when we ran it during the hurricane.
The front and rear of the trailer still emitt allot of noise, but the you cannot hear the genset nearly as much from inside the house.

That said, I feel it can be better, so... I will be:
-installing 1 more sheet 5ft x 30 in in the front of the trailer (leaving about 18 inches on top for plenty of air ventalation)
-installing 2 more sheets 4x8 foot 1- 3/8 inch rigid foam- aluminum foil both sides above the genset and below the plywood/bows(1 sheet is not enough to seal side to side)
-install 1 sheet rigid foam on the tailgate.
-install a flex exhaust pipe feeding out the front of the trailer.

I had been looking into many different materials, MDF, soundboard, acoustic insulations of fiberglass and many foams. All had pros/cons.
Many factors were considered.....This trailer will be outside and animals could become an issue. Also, adding the extra weight of MDF/soundboard. Finally, the cost of acoustic insulation.

What would I have done differently?
-use 1-7/8 inch thick rigid foam on sides

So, for roughly $200, I am VERY pleased and would reccomend this anyone with a trailer mounted genset.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks